Appalachian State University womens tennis was unable to overcome a strong effort by Chattanooga, as it fell 5-1 in a Southern Conference match on Saturday at the UTC Tennis Courts.
The Mountaineers (4-13, 0-3 SoCon) dropped their sixth-straight match while the Mocs (12-2, 3-0) picked up their eighth-straight victory.
Chattanooga picked up straight-set wins in four of the five singles matches that were played, No. 5 singles was not played as the match had already been decided at that point.
Gabrielle Wreder came away with Appalachians lone win on the day as she picked up a thrilling victory at No. 4 singles. After falling by a 6-4 score in the first set, Wreder picked up a 6-2 win in the second set and hung on for a 12-10 victory in the decisive third set.
Appalachians best showing in double play came from the No. 2 team of Clare Cox/Megan Mullen, which suffered an 8-5 loss.
The Mountaineers return to action on Wednesday when they travel to SoCon foe Furman for a 3 p.m. match before returning home to take on UNCG at 3 p.m. on Thursday.
Chattanooga 5, Appalachian State 1
Mar 21, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Clare Cox (APP) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 6-3, 6-3
3. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-0, 6-0
4. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) def. Kelsey Coots (UTC) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (12-10)
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) vs. Katie Polk (UTC) no result
6. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Megan Mullen (APP) 6-4, 6-0
1. Kaylene Chadwell/Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Gabrielle Wreder/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 8-4
2. Kayla Jones/Katie Polk (UTC) def. Clare Cox/Megan Mullen (APP) 8-5
3. Kelsey Coots/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Olivia Isbey/McKayla Zupan (APP) 8-2
Appalachian State 4-12, 0-3 SoCon
Chattanooga 12-2, 3-0 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,2,4,5,6)
Photo Courtesy: Jessica Thaggard, ASU Athletics