|ASU Spring Practice Update|
|Written by MIke Flynn|
|Thursday, 17 March 2011 10:08|
Appalachian State University football held its second intrasquad scrimmage of the spring on Wednesday afternoon, as the squad’s offense and defense squared off for approximately 80 plays at the Sofield Family Indoor Practice Facility.Both defensive coordinator Dale Jones and quarterbacks coach Brad Glenn were pleased with their respective units’ performances during the scrimmage. In particular, Jones continues to be impressed with the defense’s grasp of a new three-man-front scheme that Appalachian began implementing this spring while Glenn noted the tenacity of ASU’s offensive front during Wednesday’s scrimmage.
Individual headliners included:
• John Rizor, who made several stops behind the line of scrimmage, including at least one sack, as a stand-up defensive end/outside linebacker in the Mountaineers’ 3-4 scheme;
• redshirt freshman defensive back Tevin McDermott, who intercepted a pass that tipped off the hands of tight end Trevor Sawyer and later laid a devastating hit on Sawyer to break up a would-be completion over the middle;
• Michael Frazier, who has been practicing at running back since the team returned from spring break at the beginning of this week and impressed coaches in his first live action at the position, as did fellow running backs Cedric Baker and Rod Chisholm;
• all-America wide receiver Brian Quick, who caught several passes from fellow all-American DeAndre Presley, including a 32-yard touchdown on a post pattern;
• Sawyer, who overcame a handful of drops early in the scrimmage to haul in a touchdown pass from Jey Yokeley late in the scrimmage;
• inside linebacker Jeremy Kimbrough, who scooped up a fumbled handoff on the final snap of the afternoon and returned it for what would have been an 80-plus-yard touchdown.
Wednesday’s practice was the 11th of 15 permitted by the NCAA during the spring. Appalachian wraps up the week on Thursday at the Sofield Indoor Facility before closing out the spring with three more practices next week.
PRO DAY SET FOR THURSDAY: Nine former Mountaineers with professional football aspirations will showcase their skills for pro scouts on Thursday during Appalachian’s annual Pro Day.
Offensive lineman Daniel Kilgore, defensive back Mark LeGree, linebacker D.J. Smith, defensive end Jabari Fletcher, running backs Devon Moore and Devin Radford, wide receivers CoCo Hillary and B.J. Frazier and place kicker Jason Vitaris will all conduct various drills for the assembled scouts inside the Appalachian Athletics Center and Sofield Indoor Facility.
Pro Day activities are closed to the general public, however, a full report will be available following the conclusion of Wednesday’s drills at GoASU.com.
|Share This Article:|