On April 4th at 1:23 p.m. the Boone Fire department was dispatched to a possible structure fire in the Appalachian Drive area of Boone.
At 1:28 p.m., BFD units arrived at 859 Appalachian Drive to find a single family dwelling well involved in fire. It was confirmed, before the Fire Department’s arrival, by Boone Police Officers, that all occupants were out of the residence.
BFD crews began fire suppression operations immediately and had the fire controlled at 1:50 p.m. Crews then worked to extinguish any remain hot spots and look for hidden fire. Due to the complexity of these overhaul operations, fire crews remained on scene until 10 p.m.
The structure received extensive damage to the main floor and attic area. Dollar loss estimates are in excess of $400,000 for the structure and contents.
Fire Investigators with the Boone Fire Department were able to determine the following: The fire originated on the exterior of the structure at the electrical service meter base. The fire then extended into the structure this was aided by moderate winds of 10+ miles per hour. The cause of the fire was an electrical short within the meter base of the electrical service.
The Boone Fire Department would like to thank the following agencies for their assistance: Boone Police Department, Watauga Medics, Foscoe and Cove Creek Fire Departments