While no one in the High Country took home any of the Powerball Jackpot last month—the largest amount ever up for grabs—a birthday and anniversary added up to a lucky number for an Avery County man, who might find himself with some new friends—maybe some new relatives he wasn’t aware of.(Continue Reading)
There are several area voting issues on the agenda of the North Carolina State B(Continue Reading)
A dawn accident this morning injured two, a woman passenger from the single-vehi(Continue Reading)
The Avery County Sheriff’s Department supplied some details from the fatal fir(Continue Reading)
Two young men were injured in a single-vehicle crash before dawn Saturday in wes(Continue Reading)
Two-time ACC Male Athlete of the Year. Three-time All-America. National Player of the Year. Gold medalist. Phil Ford was already a legend. Now, the University of North Carolina is proud to officially recognize Ford as a Tar Heel Trailblazer.(Continue Reading)
NEW ORLEANS - Appalachian State sophomore Madi Story led her squad to back-to-ba(Continue Reading)
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – They had time and they had their chances, but try as the(Continue Reading)
WHS Swimming Results....HUNTERSVILLE, NC - The Watauga High girl's swimming team(Continue Reading)
SOUTH BEND, IND. — Demetrius Jackson scored 19 points, Bonzie Colson had 19 po(Continue Reading)
On february 4th, a blue heeler named Rusty went missing from the Valle Crucis/ Sugar Grove area. He is wearing a blue reflective collar. If found please call 828-773-9436 or 828-266-3513.(Continue Reading)
On January 1st, black and white border collie/lab/hound mix went missing from th(Continue Reading)
On February 4th, a white dog with black spots was found near Deerfield rd. It ha(Continue Reading)
On Friday January 29th, a black and white, medium haired cat went missing from G(Continue Reading)
Brodie, a 7 year old brindle and Emma, a 4 year old fawn, both with white feet a(Continue Reading)
Boone, NC –With her breathtaking new installation “Strange Gardens” —a(Continue Reading)
The Digital Watauga Project is pleased to announce that it will sponsor an exhib(Continue Reading)
Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute’s Culinary Arts program has(Continue Reading)
Watauga High School's JROTC Competitive Drill Team won first place out of nine t(Continue Reading)
Mr. Virgil Lee Morgan, age 88, of Boone, passed away Wednesday, February 3, 2016.(Continue Reading)
Mr. Frank E. Fox, age 78, of Fox's Hideaway Lane, Banner Elk, passed away Tuesda(Continue Reading)
Dorothy “Dot” Day Miller, age 83, of Newton passed away on Saturday, January(Continue Reading)
Mrs. Carmen Varney, age 87, of 313 North Pine Run Road, Boone, died Saturday mor(Continue Reading)
Eric Triplett Petrie, age 63, of Will Combs Hollow Road, Vilas, passed away Wedn(Continue Reading)
CLOSINGS, CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS & EARLY DISMISSALS FOR TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 9th, 2016
- Alleghany County Schools are on a two hour delay.
- Ashe County Schools closed for Tuesday, a NO day for staff
- Avery County Schools are closed for Tuesday, an optional teacher workday for teachers and staff on a two hour delay
- Avery County Administrative Offices open at 10am
- Carter County, TN Schools are closed.
- Grayson County, VA Schools are on a two hour delay.
- Johnson County, TN Schools are closed.
- Lees-McRae College opens at 9:30am
- Newland Offices open at 10am
- Mitchell County Schools CLOSED Tuesday, a NO day for staff
- Two Rivers Community School will operate on a 2 hour delay with the final decision made by 8:30
- Watauga County Schools are Closed to students. It's an annual leave day for teachers and 10 month employess. The Snow Day Program at Hardin Park will open at 9:00.
- Watauga County Criminal Courts are cancelled for today; all parties involved in cases need to be in touch with their attorneys for reschedule dates.
- Watauga Opportunities is closed and will not have transportation.
- Yancey County Schools are Closed.