|Crespo Named Frontier League All-Star|
|Written by Mike Flynn|
|Wednesday, 16 July 2014 17:12|
Former Appalachian State University baseball standout Hector Crespo is the starting second baseman for the West team in the 2014 Frontier League All-Star Game, which will be held on Wednesday night in
Crespo, who played at Appalachian State from 2010-13 and is the program’s all-time leader in stolen bases (101) and games played (225), is in his first season as a member of the Frontier League’s River City Rascals, an independent organization located in O’Fallon, Mo. Crespo has started all 50 games at second base for the West Division-leading Rascals (32-18) and is hitting .302 with 11 doubles, two triples, a home run, 18 RBI, 34 runs scored and a league-leading 23 stolen bases.
Crespo was selected in the 34th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft by the New York Yankees and rose to as high as triple-A in the Yankees’ farm system before joining the Rascals in 2014.
On a related note, Crespo will soon be joined by former Appalachian State teammate Tyler Zupcic, as Zupcic has reached an agreement to join the Rascals after the All-Star break. The professional contract is the first for Zupcic, who wrapped up his collegiate career in May. He is expected to make his pro debut on Friday night when the Rascals play at the Washington Wild Things.
Crespo and Zupcic are among eight former Mountaineers currently in the professional baseball ranks:
• RHP Ryan Arrowood is 5-0 with a 4.06 ERA in 29 relief appearances for the double-A Tulsa Drillers (Colorado Rockies affiliate)
• RHP Nathan Hyatt is 3-3 with three saves in 27 relief appearances for the high-A Lynchburg Hillcats (Atlanta Braves)
• C Tyler Tewell is hitting .281 with six home runs and 36 RBI in 52 games for Lynchburg
• C Jeremy Dowdy is hitting .297 with nine doubles, a home run and 18 RBI in 36 games for the low-A Kannapolis Intimidators (Chicago White Sox)
• RHP Sam Agnew-Wieland is 1-3 with a 5.60 ERA in six appearances (four starts) for the short-season Staten Island Yankees (New York Yankees)
• 2B Will Callaway is hitting .321 with 10 doubles, a home run and 15 RBI in 28 games for the short-season Salem-Keizer Volcanoes (San Francisco Giants)
Photo Courtesy: Hector Crespo, App State Athletics
|Share This Article:|