Appalachian State University mens tennis saw its postseason run come to an end in a 4-0 loss to top-seeded Elon in the semifinals of the 2014 Southern Conference Championships at the Champions Club
The Mountaineers (10-13) dropped the doubles point and the Phoenix (18-4) seized the momentum to advance to their sixth SoCon title match in the past eight seasons.
Appalachians top duo of Sebastien King/Zach Bost fell by an 8-4 final before the No. 2 team of Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang dropped an 8-2 decision to give Elon the early 1-0 lead. Steve Lake/Jack Maddocks trailed 7-4 at No. 3 when the doubles point was decided.
In singles play, the Mountaineers looked as if they may complete a comeback as they led or were tied early on at each spot, but a strong Elon lineup eventually prevailed.
Casey was the first to suffer defeat, losing 6-2, 6-0 at No. 2 singles before King fell by a 6-4, 6-1 final to SoCon Player of the Year Cameron Silverman at the No. 1 spot. Silverman entered the tournament ranked No. 41 in the latest ITA rankings.
Maddocks suffered a 6-4, 6-4 loss at No. 5 to give the Phoenix the decisive fourth point. Bost trailed by a set and was down 3-0 in the second at the No. 4 spot when the match was decided. Hoang and Jan-Willem Kleynhans also saw their matches go unfinished at No. 3 and No. 6, respectively as both earned first-set wins when the contest went final.
The Mountaineers return 10-of-12 players next season as King and Matt Saltsgaver will graduate this year.
#54 Elon 4, Appalachian State 0
Apr 18, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
1. Cameron Silverman (ELON) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-4, 6-1
2. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) def. Oliver Casey (APP) 6-2, 6-0
3. Robert Lindgren (ELON) vs. Zach Bost (APP) 7-6 (7-4), 3-0, unfinished
4. Brian Kowalski (ELON) vs. Daniel Hoang (APP) 6-7 (2-7), 6-2, unfinished
5. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Jack Maddocks (APP) 6-4, 6-4
6. Ismael Sanchez (ELON) vs. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 6-7 (5-7), 3-4, unfinished
1. Cameron Silverman/Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) 8-4
2. Brian Kowalski/Robert Lindgren (ELON) def. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) 8-2
3. Stefan Fortmann/Juan Madrid (ELON) vs. Steve Lake/Jack Maddocks (APP) 7-4, unfinished
Appalachian State 10-13
Elon 18-4; National ranking #54
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,1,5)