Appalachian State University womens tennis advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2014 Southern Conference Championship with a 4-1 win over Western
Carolina on Wednesday at the Champions Club.
The Mountaineers (9-15) earned the doubles point and rode the momentum into singles play where it won three matches to eliminate the Catamounts (2-18-1) from the tournament.
Appalachians top singles team of Mackenzie LaSure/Gabrielle Wreder earned an 8-4 victory while the No. 3 tandem of Megan Mullen/Brianna Armellino came away with an 8-0 win. The No. 2 duo of Clare Cox/McKayla Zupan led by a score of 7-2 when the doubles point was decided.
In singles play, WCU was able to tie the contest at 1-1 when Stacia Kissell, who earned first team all-league honors on Monday, scored a 6-2, 6-1 win at the No. 1 spot.
It would be the only point the Catamounts would score, however, as the Mountaineers picked up three-straight wins to slam the door shut. Armellino was the second to finish her match with a 6-0, 6-4 win at No. 4 before Jessica Thaggard put App State up 3-1 with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 5.
Wreder sealed the win for the Apps with a 7-5, 6-2 win at the No. 3 spot to send Appalachian to the quarterfinals for the fourth-straight year.
With the win, the Mountaineers will take on No. 2 Samford (18-2, 8-1) at 3 p.m. on Thursday. The Bulldogs earned five all-SoCon nods on Monday and are ranked No. 73 nationally in the latest ITA rankings.
The winner of Thursdays quarterfinal will take on No. 3 Chattanooga or No. 6 Georgia Southern in the semifinals at 2 p.m. on Friday for a right to play for the SoCon Championship.
Appalachian State 4, Western Carolina 1
Apr 16, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
1. Stacia Kissell (WCU) def. Clare Cox (APP) 6-2, 6-1
2. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) vs. Shannon Bettiol (WCU) 6-1, 4-5, unfinished
3. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) def. Megan McLinden (WCU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Sara Ruiz Pajares (WCU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Nicole Nielly (WCU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Megan Mullen (APP) vs. Erin Maguire (WCU) 3-6, 4-1, unfinished
1. Gabrielle Wreder/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Stacia Kissell/Shannon Bettiol (WCU) 8-4
2. McKayla Zupan/Clare Cox (APP) vs. Megan McLinden/Nicole Nielly (WCU) 7-2, unfinished
3. Megan Mullen/Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Sara Ruiz Pajares/Erin Maguire (WCU) 8-0
Western Carolina 2-18-1
Appalachian State 9-15
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,5,3)