The Mountaineers (8-15) dropped the doubles point, but rallied to earn four singles wins, including two three-set thrillers, to down the Bulldogs (9-12) in non-conference action.
Appalachians top doubles pairing of LaSure/Gabrielle Wreder earned an easy 8-2 win in doubles play, but the Runnin Bulldogs earned victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to take an early 1-0 lead in the match.
Wreder would knot the score at 1-1 when she knocked off her opponent at No. 3 singles (6-3, 6-2) before Jessica Thaggard gave the Apps a 2-1 lead with a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 5.
A pair of singles wins by GWU made it 3-2 in favor of the Bulldogs before LaSure and Clare Cox earned wins at their spots in the lineup to earn a hard-fought victory.
Cox was the next-to-last to finish on the day as she won in a three-set contest (6-1, 5-7, 6-0), setting the stage for one of the most exciting individual matches of the season. After winning the first set (6-2), LaSure dropped the second in a tiebreak (6-7 [6-8]), but was able to rally back and win the third set (6-2) to give Appalachian the final point of the day.
The Mountaineers return to action next week when they hit the courts in Chattanooga, Tenn. to take part in the 2014 Southern Conference Championships, which run from April 16-19.
Appalachian State 4, Gardner-Webb 3
Apr 10, 2014 at Boone, N.C. (Appalachian Tennis Courts)
1. Clare Cox (APP) def. Yasmin Doost (GWU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-0
2. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Jenny Lunde (GWU) 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), 6-2
3. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) def. Ronia Hutterli (GWU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Rokia Sacko (GWU) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-4, 7-5
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Valeriia Popko (GWU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Catherine White (GWU) def. McKayla Zupan (APP) 6-3, 6-0
1. Gabrielle Wreder/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Yasmin Doost/Ronia Hutterli (GWU) 8-2
2. Jenny Lunde/Rokia Sacko (GWU) def. Clare Cox/McKayla Zupan (APP) 8-6
3. Teodora Stanciu/Mary Walker Mixon (GWU) def. Brianna Armellino/Megan Mullen (APP) 8-7 (7-2)
Appalachian State 8-15
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,5,6,4,1,2)