Appalachian State University mens tennis fell to its fifth nationally-ranked opponent of the season in a 6-1 loss at No. 44 Elon in Southern Conference action on Wednesday.
The Mountaineers (9-12, 6-3 SoCon) dropped the doubles point and never recovered as the Phoenix (16-3, 9-0) wrapped up the 2014 SoCon regular season title.
Jan-Willem Kleynhans was the only App State player to score a point as he earned his eighth win of the season with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles to moved to 8-4 on the year.
Elon won in straight sets in four of the remaining five singles matches, including a win at No. 1 singles as Appalachians Sebastien King fell by a 6-0, 6-0 score to Cameron Silverman, who entered the match ranked No. 35 in the latest ITA rankings.
The best match of the day came at No. 3 singles, as Appalachians Zach Bost won the first set in a tiebreak, but lost the second set and ultimately was defeated in a thrilling third-set (6-7 [5-7], 6-3, 10-8).
Wednesdays contest marked Appalachians final regular-season match of the year, though the possibility remains that a previously postponed match against Charlotte could be rescheduled prior to the SoCon Tournament, which takes place in Chattanooga, Tenn. from April 16-19.
#44 Elon 6, Appalachian State 1
Apr 09, 2014 at Elon, N.C. (Jimmy Powell Tennis Center)
1. #35 Cameron Silverman (ELON) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-0, 6-0
2. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) def. Oliver Casey (APP) 6-3, 6-1
3. Robert Lindgren (ELON) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 10-8
4. Brian Kowalski (ELON) def. Daniel Hoang (APP) 6-1, 6-3
5. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Jack Maddocks (APP) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Juan Madrid (ELON) 6-1, 6-1
1. Cameron Silverman/Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP) 8-3
2. Brian Kowalski/Robert Lindgren (ELON) vs. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) 3-5, unfinished
3. Stefan Fortmann/Juan Madrid (ELON) def. Steve Lake/Jack Maddocks (APP) 8-3
Appalachian State 9-12, 6-3
Elon 16-3, 9-0; National ranking #44
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,1,5,4,2,3)