|l--R Sports Roundup....|
|Written by Staff Reports|
|Saturday, 05 April 2014 08:49|
Lenoir-Rhyne Baseball Rallies To Defeat Anderson, 10-8, On The Road....The Lenoir-Rhyne Baseball Team (11-26, 7-16) plated three runs in the top of the ninth inning to rally and defeat Anderson (14-24, 9-12), 10-8, Friday night in a South Atlantic Conference game at Memorial Stadium.
L-R freshman first baseman David Newcomer (Archdale, N.C.) finished with four hits and three runs batted in including the game-winning, run-scoring double in the top of the ninth inning.
Lenoir-Rhyne junior outfielder Ivan Vieitez (Miami, Fla.) tied the score at eight with a solo home run with one out in the ninth before Newcomer's game-winning hit.
Vieitez added three hits, three runs scored and two RBI for the Bears, who won their second consecutive contest.
Steven Cooper (Williamston, S.C.) hit a two-run home run while Jonathan Zalud (Sarasota, Fla.) drove in a pair of runs for Anderson, who couldn't hold a 5-3 advantage after three innings of play.
For Lenoir-Rhyne, junior designated hitter Brantley Rumford (Rock Hill, S.C.) and freshman catcher Ray Plymette (Virginia Beach, Va.) added two hits and two RBI as well.
Meanwhile, L-R sophomore Wes McGuire (Richmond, Va.) (1-1) earned the win after holding the Trojans scoreless in relief to go along with five strikeouts. Anderson's Mitchell Cooksey (Bowie, Md.) fell to 0-2 after suffering the loss.
The two teams will wrap up the South Atlantic Conference weekend series with a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon beginning at 1:00 p.m.
Lenoir-Rhyne Outdoor Track And Field Competes Friday At The VertKlasse Meeting
The Lenoir-Rhyne Men's and Women's Outdoor Track and Field Teams competed Friday on the first day of the VertKlasse Meeting at Dick Vert Stadium.
Three L-R athletes competed in the men's 1,500-meter run including redshirt freshman Zach Millsaps (Statesville, N.C.) and freshman Charles Koontz (Flemington, N.J.).
Millsaps ran a 4:07 to finish 40th overall while Koontz placed 46th with a time of 4:08 for the Bears.
In addition, Lenoir-Rhyne senior Mike Ryan (Sewickley, Pa.) finished 31st overall in the men's 5,000-meter run (16:46) while senior Laura Rhyne (Taylorsville, N.C.) was 23rd in the women's 5,000-meter run with a time of 20:47.
Lenoir-Rhyne sophomore Paige Smith (Ramseur, N.C.) led the Bears with a 45th-place finish in the women's 1,500-meter run (5:10).
Meanwhile, freshman Jawanzza Harris (Pinebluff, N.C.) finished eighth in the men's pole vault (13'0") for the Bears.
The VertKlasse Meeting concludes on Saturday while several Lenoir-Rhyne Track and Field athletes will also be competing at the 2014 Wofford Terrier Relays in Spartanburg, S.C.
Brevard Wins Close Over Lenoir-Rhyne, 5-4, In Women's Tennis
The Lenoir-Rhyne Women's Tennis Team (8-11, 1-7) suffered a close setback to Brevard (4-9, 1-6), 5-4, in a South Atlantic Conference match Friday afternoon at Hickory High School.
Despite the loss, senior Lacey Lapp (Maitland, Fla.) won at fourth singles and third doubles for the Bears.
L-R junior Zorica Djuric (Belgrade, SERBIA) prevailed at first singles as well and improved to 8-1 in her last nine matches at No. 1 singles.
Lenoir-Rhyne hosts Tusculum on Saturday in a South Atlantic Conference contest beginning at Noon at Hickory High School. Brevard faces Tusculum in Greeneville, Tenn., on Monday beginning at 2:00 p.m.
NCAA Division II Women's Tennis
Brevard 5, Lenoir-Rhyne 4
April 4, 2014
Hickory High School
1. Zorica Djuric (L-R) def. Katie Daugherty (BC), 2-6, 7-5, 7-6
2. Michelle Prata (BC) def. Nateesha Hurtt (L-R), 6-1, 6-2
3. Jule Hermann (BC) def. Lela Sparks Thompson (L-R), 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Lacey Lapp (L-R) def. Claudia Hellman (BC), 7-5, 6-2
5. Nirvanna Silva (BC) def. Maggie Brown (L-R), 6-4, 6-2
6. Amanda Bryan (L-R) def. Ana Drummond (BC), 6-2, 1-6, 10-7
1. Katie Daugherty/Michelle Prata (BC) def. Zorica Djuric/Lela Sparks Thompson (L-R), 9-7
2. Nirvanna Silva/Claudia Hellman (BC) def. Nateesha Hurtt/Meaghan Liner (L-R), 8-5
3. Maggie Brown/Lacey Lapp (L-R) def. Jule Hermann/Ana Drummond (BC), 8-6
Records: Brevard (4-9, 1-6 SAC), Lenoir-Rhyne (8-11, 1-7 SAC)
Lenoir-Rhyne Men's Tennis Handles Brevard, 8-1
The Lenoir-Rhyne Men's Tennis Team (6-13, 3-5) continued its improvement with an 8-1 South Atlantic Conference victory over Brevard (1-14, 0-7) Friday afternoon at Hickory High School.
The Bears swept all six singles matches from the Tornados while senior Kilian Symalla (Wolfsburg, GERMANY), junior John Christian Reid (Claremont, N.C.) and sophomores Filip Dobrosavljevic (Cacek, SERBIA) and Matthew Ledford (Lincolnton, N.C.) won at singles and doubles for L-R.
Lenoir-Rhyne remains at home to face Tusculum in a South Atlantic Conference match at Hickory High School on Saturday beginning at Noon.
Brevard, meanwhile, plays Tusculum in Greeneville, Tenn., on Monday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.
NCAA Division II Men's Tennis
Lenoir-Rhyne 8, Brevard 1
April 4, 2014
Hickory High School
1. Robin Hochguertel (L-R) def. David Taggart (BC), 6-1, 6-1
2. Hunter Pack (L-R) def. Rory Northam (BC), 6-2, 6-2
3. Kilian Symalla (L-R) def. Christoph Plasa (BC), 6-1, 6-4
4. Filip Dobrosavljevic (L-R) def. Nathan Nicholson (BC), 3-6, 6-0, 10-3
5. John Christian Reid (L-R) def. Guilherme Prophirio (BC), 6-2, 6-1
6. Matthew Ledford (L-R) def. Vinicius Fernandes (BC), 6-0, 6-0
1. David Taggart/Rory Northam (BC) def. Robin Hochguertel/Hunter Pack (L-R), 8-5
2. Filip Dobrosavljevic/Kilian Symalla (L-R) def. Christoph Plasa/Nathan Nicholson (BC), 8-4
3. Matthew Ledford/John Christian Reid (L-R) def. Guilherme Prophirio/Vinicius Fernandes (BC), 8-0
Records: Brevard (1-14, 0-7 SAC), Lenoir-Rhyne (6-13, 3-5 SAC)
|Share This Article:|