|ASU Tennis Pulls Off Sweep|
|Written by Ryan Bower|
|Saturday, 29 March 2014 21:28|
Mountaineers Top Davidson at Home....After falling behind after two singles matches, the Appalachian State University women’s tennis rallied for a 5-2 victory over Southern Conference rival Davidson on
Saturday at Yonahlossee Racquet Club.
The Mountaineers (5-14, 1-4 SoCon) jumped out to an early lead by winning the doubles point, but the Wildcats (6-14, 1-5) earned straight-set wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles to snag a 2-1 lead before Appalachian bounced back by winning each of the final four singles matches.
App State rolled in doubles play as the No. 2 tandem of Clare Cox/McKayla Zupan picked up an 8-3 win while the No. 3 team of Brianna Armellino/Megan Mullen won by the same score.
In singles play, LaSure earned a win in a thrilling three-set marathon at the No. 2 spot to tie the match at 2-2 after Davidson had dispatched Appalachian’s top two players. After dropping the first set by a 6-1 score, she was able to win the second set 7-5 before cruising to a 6-1 win in the third and decisive set.
Jessica Thaggard followed up with a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 5 while Mullen cruised to a win at No. 6 (6-1, 6-0). Armellino capped off the day with a three-set win at No. 5 (6-3, 6-7, 6-0).
The Mountaineers return to action on Tuesday when they play host to Elon at 3 p.m. at the Appalachian Tennis Courts.
Appalachian State 5, Davidson 2
Mar 29, 2014 at Boone, N.C. (Yonahlossee Racquet Club)
1. Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV) def. Clare Cox (APP) 6-3, 6-1
2. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Elaina Cummer (DAV) 1-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. Nisha Crouser (DAV) def. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 6-4, 6-3
4. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Jenna Brunner (DAV) 6-3, 6-7, 6-0
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Tamara Hill (DAV) 6-1, 6-4
6. Megan Mullen (APP) def. Blake Nickles (DAV) 6-1, 6-0
1. Brites Moniz-Soares/Elaina Cummer (DAV) def. Mackenzie LaSure/Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 8-7 (8-6)
2. Clare Cox/McKayla Zupan (APP) def. Nisha Crouser/Jenna Brunner (DAV) 8-3
3. Brianna Armellino/Megan Mullen (APP) def. Tamara Hill/Blake Nickles (DAV) 8-3
Davidson 6-14, 1-5 SoCon
Appalachian State 5-14, 1-4 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,3,2,5,6,4)
Men’s Tennis Shuts Out Bulldogs
The Appalachian State University men’s tennis rolled to a 7-0 win over The Citadel in a Southern Conference contest on Saturday at Deer Valley Racquet Club.
The Mountaineers (7-8, 4-0 SoCon) remained perfect in league play and improved to 3-0 at home on the season while the Bulldogs (2-24, 0-6) lost for the 18th-straight time.
Appalachian set the tone early with a dominant performance in doubles play. The No. 1 team of Sebastien King/Zach Bost picked up an 8-3 win while the No. 2 tandem of Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang cruised to an 8-1 win. The Mountaineers’ No. 3 duo of Steve Lake/Jack Maddocks shut out its opponent with an 8-0 win.
The momentum rolled over into singles play as King grabbed a win at No. 1 (6-4, 6-4) and Casey once again won at No. 2 (6-3, 7-6). Hoang also won it straight sets at No. 3 (6-1, 6-2) while Maddocks won 61, 6-2 at No. 5 and Jan-Willem Kleynhans scored a win at No. 6 (6-2, 6-0). Bost went to three sets against his opponent at No.4 and prevailed by a final of 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Appalachian State returns to action on Monday when it travels to Presbyterian for a 2 p.m. non-conference contest.
Appalachian State 7, The Citadel 0
Mar 29, 2014 at Boone, N.C. (Deer Valley Racquet Club)
1. Sebastien King (APP) def. Elliott Sperr (CIT) 6-4, 6-4
2. Oliver Casey (APP) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-3, 7-6
3. Daniel Hoang (APP) def. Connor Grady (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
4. Zach Bost (APP) def. Oliver Dedding (CIT) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Jack Maddocks (APP) def. Marvin Pagayonan (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Joe Bove (CIT) 6-2, 6-0
1. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP) def. Peter Bleach/Elliott Sperr (CIT) 8-3
2. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) def. Connor Grady/Oliver Dedding (CIT) 8-1
3. Steve Lake/Jack Maddocks (APP) def. Marvin Pagayonan/Joe Bove (CIT) 8-0
The Citadel 2-24, 0-6 SoCon
Appalachian State 7-8, 4-0 SoCon
Photo Courtesy: Sebastien King, ASU Athletics
|Share This Article:|