Despite grabbing a win at No. 1 singles, Appalachian State University womens tennis was unable to overcome a strong UNCG squad as it fell, 4-3, in a Southern Conference contest on Thursday at Yonahlossee Racquet Club.
The Mountaineers (4-14, 0-5 SoCon) dropped their eighth-straight contest while the Spartans (5-8, 3-1) won for just the second time in six matches.
UNCG set the tone early as it cruised to a doubles point with an 8-4 victory at No. 1 doubles and an 8-2 win at the No. 2 spot. Appalachians team of Brianna Armellino/Megan Mullen led 5-4 at No. 3 doubles, but the match went unfinished as the doubles point had already been decided.
In singles play, the Mountaineers showed signs of life early as Clare Cox picked up a 6-4, 7-5 win at No. 1, but the Spartans were able to stem the tide and earned straight-set wins at No. 2 and No. 4 to grab a 3-1 lead.
Gabrielle Wreder picked up a first-set win at the No. 3 spot, but UNCGs Stephanie Falcon rallied and earned a 6-3 win in the second set before ultimately taking the match with a 6-2 win in the third and decisive set to give the Spartans the winning point.
Despite UNCG earning the decisive point, the two squads finished off singles play as Mullen ave Appalachian a point with a win at No. 6 (6-4, 4-6, 10-8) and Jessica Thaggard dropped her match at No. 5 in three stes (7-6 (7-4), 5-7, 10-7)
The Mountaineers return to action when they host Davidson at 3 p.m. on Saturday. Due to the high probability of rain on Saturday, the match, which was scheduled to be played outdoors at the Appalachian Tennis Courts, is likely to be moved indoors to Yonahlossee Racquet Club.
UNCG 5, Appalachian State 2
Mar 27, 2014 at Boone, N.C. (Appalachian Tennis Courts)
1. Clare Cox (APP) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-4, 7-5
2. Soumeya Anane (UNCG) def. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 6-2, 6-2
3. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
4. Kayla Gammie (UNCG) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-2, 6-3
5. Yasmin Franco (UNCG) def. Jessica Thaggard (APP) 7-6 (7-4), 5-7, 10-7
6. Megan Mullen (APP) def. Jamie Grinberg (UNCG) 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
1. Kayla Gammie/Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Mackenzie LaSure/Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 8-4
2. Yasmin Franco/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Clare Cox/McKayla Zupan (APP) 8-2
3. Brianna Armellino/Megan Mullen (APP) vs. Soumeya Anane/Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) 4-5, unfinished
UNCG 5-8, 3-1 SoCon
Appalachian State 4-14, 0-5 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,1,3,4,6,5)