|App State Tennis Earns Split|
|Written by Ryan Bower|
|Thursday, 27 March 2014 07:35|
Mountaineers Tame Wildcats on Wednesday....Appalachian State University men’s tennis remained perfect in Southern Conference play as it cruised to a 6-1 win over Davidson on Wednesday at Covington Tennis Courts.
The Mountaineers (6-8, 3-0) picked up their second-straight win while the Wildcats (4-13, 1-5) dropped their fifth contest in their last six outings.
Appalachian again one the doubles point thanks to an 8-2 win by the No. 1 tandem of Zach Bost/Sebastien King and an 8-4 victory by the No. 3 duo of Steve Lake/Jack Maddocks. The Mountaineers’ No. 2 squad of Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang led 7-6 in their match when the doubles point was decided.
In singles play, the Apps won four matches in straight sets as King downed his opponent by a 6-0, 6-3 final at No. 1 and Casey snagged a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 2. Hoang was a winner at No. 3 (6-1, 6-4) and Jan-Willem Kleynhans earned a 6-3, 7-5 win at No. 6.
The most exciting match of the day came at No. 5 singles, where Maddocks grabbed a 6-4 first-set victory before dropping the second set (3-6) - he would eventually win the third-set by a 10-8 final to secure Appalachians sixth and final point of the day.
Appalachian State returns home on Saturday when it faces The Citadel at 11 a.m. as part of a men’s and women’s tennis doubleheader at the Appalachian Tennis Courts.
Appalachian State 6, Davidson 1
Mar 26, 2014 at Davidson, N.C. (Covington Tennis Courts)
1. Sebastien King (APP) def. Robert Lightbourn (DAV) 6-0, 6-3
2. Oliver Casey (APP) def. Connor Evins (DAV) 6-1, 6-3
3. Daniel Hoang (APP) def. Ethan Kallick (DAV) 6-1, 6-4
4. JB Gough (DAV) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jack Maddocks (APP) def. Evan Watkins (DAV) 6-4, 3-6, 10-8
6. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Jordan Hart (DAV) 6-3, 7-5
1. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP) def. Robert Lightbourn/Connor Evins (DAV) 8-2
2. Ethan Kallick/JB Gough (DAV) vs. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) 6-7, unfinished
3. Steve Lake/Jack Maddocks (APP) def. Zach Zapatero/Ricky Saad (DAV) 8-4
Appalachian State 6-8, 3-0 SoCon
Davidson 4-13, 1-5 SoCon
Women’s Tennis Swept by Furman....
Appalachian State University women’s tennis dropped its seventh match in a row as it fell to nationally-ranked Southern Conference rival Furman on Wednesday at the Mickel Tennis Center.
The Mountaineers (4-13, 0-4 SoCon) dropped their second match of the season to a nationally-ranked opponent while the No. 68 Paladins (10-5, 3-0) won their third-straight to remain perfect in league play.
Appalachian nearly came up with the all-important doubles point as it pushed Furman to the brink at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles by forcing tiebreaks in each. The Mountaineers’ top pairing of Gabrielle Wreder/Mackenzie LaSure fell by an 8-7 (7-5) final as did the No. 2 duo of Clare Cox/McKayla Zupan - the Paladins cruised to an 8-3 win at the No. 3 spot.
In singles play, Furman won all but one match in straight sets as LaSure put up App State’s best fight of the day in a losing effort. Despite winning the first set, she was unable to close things out in the second before falling in three sets at No. 2 (1-6, 6-1, 6-1).
Appalachian State returns home on Thursday when it takes on UNCG at 3 p.m. at Yonahlossee Racquet Club. The contest is the first of three-straight home matches for the Mountaineers.
#68 Furman 7, Appalachian State 0
Mar 26, 2014 at Greenville, S.C. (Mickel Tennis Center)
1. Ansley Speaks (FUR) def. Clare Cox (APP) 6-1, 6-3
2. Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) def. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Katherine Oudin (FUR) def. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 6-2, 6-1
4. Karlee Bryde (FUR) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kelly Sullivan (FUR) def. Megan Mullen (APP) 6-3, 6-0
6. Blair Martin (FUR) def. McKayla Zupan (APP) 6-1, 6-2
1. Alex Moreno-Kaste/Katherine Oudin (FUR) def. Gabrielle Wreder/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Blair Martin/Ansley Speaks (FUR) def. Clare Cox/McKayla Zupan (APP) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Amanda Murray/Karlee Bryde (FUR) def. Brianna Armellino/Megan Mullen (APP) 8-3
Appalachian State 4-13, 0-4 SoCon
Furman 10-5, 3-0 SoCon; National ranking #68
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,1,5,4,2)
Photo Courtesy: Sebastian King, ASU Athletics
|Share This Article:|