|Mountaineers Fall to Gardner-Webb|
|Written by Ryan Bower|
|Saturday, 22 March 2014 00:06|
Appalachian State University men’s tennis fell one point shy of picking up a win in a 4-3 loss at Gardner-Webb on Friday at the Webb Tennis Complex.
The Mountaineers (4-8) dropped their sixth-straight match while the Runnin’ Bulldogs (8-10) won for the third time in their last four outings.
Doubles play proved to be the deciding factor one again as GWU took two-of-three doubles matchups and won three-of-six singles flights to come away with the victory.
In doubles action, Appalachian’s No. 2 tandem of Zach Bost/Jack Maddocks won a thriller in a tiebreak by an 8-7 (8-6) final, but the Bulldogs earned 8-5 victories at No. 1 and No. 3, respectively to capture the doubles point.
The Mountaineers were able to grab wins at No. 1, No. 3 and No. 5 singles, but could not overcome the loss in doubles action. Oliver Casey, who played at the No. 1 spot for just the second time this season, earned a 6-4, 7-4 (6-3) victory in his match.
Bost picked up a three-set win at No. 3 (6-3, 0-6, 6-3) and Jan-Willem Kleynhans overcame a first-set loss to grab a win at No. 5 (5-7, 6-0, 6-2). Two of the remaining three singles matches went to decisive third sets, but Maddocks (No. 4) and Matt Saltsgaver (No. 6) were unable to win the third set in their matches.
Appalachian State returns to Southern Conference play when it heads to Georgia Southern for an 11 a.m. match on Sunday.
Gardner-Webb 4, Appalachian State 3
Mar 21, 2014 at Boiling Springs, N.C. (Webb Tennis Complex)
1. Oliver Casey (APP) def. Benjamin Kaszás (GWU) 6-4, 7-6 (6-3)
2. Nikita Zverkov (GWU) def. Daniel Hoang (APP) 6-3, 6-4
3. Zach Bost (APP) def. Ernest Alberch (GWU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
4. Brendan Dempsey (GWU) def. Jack Maddocks (APP) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
5. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Pepe Batalla (GWU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
6. Johnathan Walker (GWU) def. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
1. Nikita Zverkov/Ernest Alberch (GWU) def. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) 8-5
2. Zach Bost/Jack Maddocks (APP) def. Benjamin Kaszás/Pepe Batalla (GWU) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Brendan Dempsey/Tyler Macy (GWU) def. Steve Lake/Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-5
Appalachian State 4-8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,3,5,4,1,6)
|Share This Article:|