|ASU Tennis Topped by ETSU|
|Written by Ryan Bower|
|Thursday, 20 March 2014 10:21|
Appalachian State University men’s tennis was unable to overcome a strong ETSU squad as it dropped its fifth-straight match in a 6-1 loss on Wednesday at
the Buddy Hartsell Courts.
The Mountaineers (4-8) picked up a win at No. 6 singles, but were defeated in straight sets in all other singles matches and two of the three doubles matches as the Buccaneers (7-8) picked up their fourth-straight win after moving to No. 57 in the ITA rankings on Tuesday.
Jan-Willem Kleynhans overcame a first-set loss at the No. 6 spot to squeak out a 5-7, 7-6, 11-9 win to score Appalachian’s lone point of the day. Oliver Casey had the Mountaineers’ best showing in a loss as he battled, but could not snag a victory in a 6-3, 6-4 loss at No. 2.
In doubles play, ETSU earned an 8-4 win at No. 2 and an 8-2 win at No. 3. Appalachian’s duo of Sebastien King/Zach Bost was tied 5-5 at No. 1, but the match went unfinished as the Buccaneers had already secured the doubles point.
The Mountaineers return to action on Friday when they head to Gardner-Webb before finishing the week at Georgia Southern on Sunday.
ETSU 6, Appalachian State 1
Mar 19, 2014 at Johnson City, Tenn. (Buddy Hartsell Courts)
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-1, 6-1
2. Diego Nunez (ETSU) def. Oliver Casey (APP) 6-3, 6-4
3. Deigo Merino (ETSU) def. Daniel Hoang (APP) 6-1, 6-2
4. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-1, 6-0
5. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Jack Maddocks (APP) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) 5-7, 7-6, 11-9
1. Diego Nunez/Deigo Merino (ETSU) vs. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) 5-5, unfinished
2. Roger Ordeig/David Biosca (ETSU) def. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) 8-4
3. Sebastian Yllera/C Huertas Del Pino (ETSU) def. Jan-Willem Kleynhans/Steve Lake (APP) 8-2
Appalachian State 4-8
Photo Courtesy: Sebastian King, ASU Athletics
|Share This Article:|