|ASU Falls to Golden Eagles in Charleston|
|Written by Ryan Bower|
|Saturday, 15 March 2014 05:57|
Appalachian State University women’s tennis lost its final match in Charleston, S.C. with a 5-2 defeat at the hands Southern Miss on Friday.
The Mountaineers (4-10) finished the week with an 0-4 record in Charleston as the Golden Eagles (5-10) won all but two singles flights and picked up the doubles point.
Gabrielle Wreder and Jessica Thaggard were able to grab wins at the No. 4 and No. 5 singles flights while the duo of Thaggard/McKayla Zupan won their match at No. 3 doubles.
Wreder won handily with a 6-2, 6-2 score at No. 4 while Thaggard was a winner by a 6-4, 6-1 final at the No. 5 spot. Mackenzie LaSure was able to bounce back from a first-set loss to force a decisive third set, but ultimately fell by a 6-1, 2-6, 7-5 tally.
The duo of Thaggard/Zupan won their doubles match by an 8-2 score, but Appalachian’s top-two pairings could not pick up a victory.
Appalachian State returns to Southern Conference play when its travels to Georgia Southern for a noon match on Sunday.
Southern Miss 5, Appalachian State 2
Mar 14, 2014 at Charleston, S.C.
1. Carolin Drescher (USM) def. Clare Cox (APP) 6-3, 6-1
2. Mahitha Dadireddy (USM) def. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 6-1, 2-6, 7-5
3. Lisa Noderer (USM) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
4. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) def. Kathrin Waidner (USM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Karina Gurgenyan (USM) 6-4, 6-1
6. Alex Kitchen (USM) def. Olivia Isbey (APP) 7-6, 6-2
1. Alex Kitchen/Carolin Drescher (USM) def. Mackenzie LaSure/Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 8-2
2. Mahitha Dadireddy/Lisa Noderer (USM) def. Clare Cox/Megan Mullen (APP) 8-4
3. Jessica Thaggard/McKayla Zupan (APP) def. Kathrin Waidner/Karina Gurgenyan (USM) 8-2
Southern Miss 5-10
Appalachian State 4-10
Florida A&M Outlasts Men's Tennis
Appalachian State University men’s tennis was unable to earn a decisive fourth points as it fell, 4-3, to Florida A&M on Friday in Daytona Beach.
The Mountaineers (4-6) dropped their fourth-straight match while the Rattlers (7-8) moved one win closer to .500 for the season.
Oliver Casey and Jack Maddocks came away with wins at No. 2 and No. 5, respectively, but Florida A&M was able to come away with three singles wins and the doubles point.
Casey downed his opponent by a 6-1, 6-1 final at No. 2 while Maddocks came away with a clean sweep (6-0, 6-0) at No. 5. Maddocks improved to 6-4 on the year while Casey moved to 5-4.
Matt Saltsgaver picked up a win by walkover at No. 6 as the Rattlers did not field a full squad. The team of Maddocks/Steve Lake also won by walkover at No. 3 doubles.
Appalachian return to play on Tuesday when it travels to Charlotte. The match against the 49ers is set for a 2:30 p.m. start.
Florida A&M 4, Appalachian State 3
Mar 14, 2014 at Daytona Beach, Fla.
1. Admire Mushonga (FLA&M) def. Sebastien King (APP) 7-5, 7-6
2. Oliver Casey (APP) def. Roberto Ortiz (FLA&M) 6-1, 6-1
3. August Waitman (FLA&M) def. Daniel Hoang (APP) 6-2, 6-0
4. Courage Okungbowa (FLA&M) def. Zach Bost (APP) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Jack Maddocks (APP) def. Jason Ulacio (FLA&M) 6-0, 6-0
6. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. No player (FLA&M), by walkover
1. Admire Mushonga/August Waitman (FLA&M) def. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) 8-5
2. Courage Okungbowa/Roberto Ortiz (FLA&M) def. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) 8-6
3. Steve Lake/Jack Maddocks (APP) def. No player/No player (FLA&M), by walkover
Florida A&M 7-8
Appalachian State 4-6
|Share This Article:|