|ASU Drops 4-3 Decision to Richmond|
|Written by Ryan Bower|
|Monday, 10 March 2014 17:38|
A clean sweep of doubles play proved to be the difference as Appalachian State University women’s tennis dropped a hard-fought 4-3 decision to Richmond on Monday at the College of Charleston Tennis Complex.
The Mountaineers (4-8) were able to capture three singles victories, but could not overcome its doubles-point loss to the Spiders (4-5) as they dropped their second-straight match.
Brianna Armellino and Jessica Thaggard once again extended their personal winning streaks in singles play. Armellino won her sixth-straight match with a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 4 to move to 7-5 on the season while Thaggard recorded her third victory in a row with a 7-5, 7-6 (6) win at No. 5 to improve to 6-3 overall.
Clare Cox, who has now won four of her last five matches, snagged an easy 6-3, 6-0 victory at the No. 1 spot to improve to 5-5 in singles play this year.
Richmond was able to come up with wins at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 6 to give it three points and, thanks to its sweep of the doubles matches, snapped a four-match losing streak.
The Mountaineers will have an off day on Tuesday before returning to action Wednesday against No. 12 North Carolina. That match is slated to begin at 10 a.m. at the CofC Tennis Complex.
Richmond 4, Appalachian State 3
Mar 10, 2014 at Charleston, S.C. (CofC Tennis Complex)
1. Clare Cox (APP) def. Melissa Kandinata (UR) 6-3, 6-0
2. Anna Abadias Morales (UR) def. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Elizabeth Sims (UR) def. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
4. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Katya Salas (UR) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Brittany Boys (UR) 7-5, 7-6
6. Denny Lamachia (UR) def. McKayla Zupan (APP) 6-2, 6-3
1. Melissa Kandinata/Anna Abadias Morales (UR) def. Mackenzie LaSure/Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 8-4
2. Brittany Boys/Katya Salas (UR) def. Clare Cox/Megan Mullen (APP) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Elizabeth Sims/Denny Lamachia (UR) def. McKayla Zupan/Brianna Armellino (APP) 8-4
Appalachian State 4-8
|Share This Article:|