The Mountaineers (4-7) were swept in doubles play, but did salvage wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles as two players extended their individual winning streaks on the season. The Cougars (5-4) bounced back from a loss to ETSU that pushed them out of the national rankings.
Brianna Armellino grabbed a 6-3, 6-3 win at the No. 4 spot, extending her personal winning streak to five-straight - four wins at No. 4 and one win at No. 2. Jessica Thaggard won her second-straight match with a 7-5, 6-2 final at No. 5.
The rest of the match was dominated by CofC, however, as the Cougars won in straight sets in all other singles matches and grabbed 8-2 wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles and an 8-3 victory at the No. 3 spot.
The Mountaineers return to action tomorrow when they take on Richmond at 10 a.m. from the CofC Tennis Complex. Appalachian will also face No. 12 North Carolina and Southern Miss during its week in Charleston.
College of Charleston 5, Appalachian State 2
Mar 09, 2014 at CofC Tennis Complex (Charleston, S.C.)
1. Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) def. Clare Cox (APP) 6-2, 6-3
2. Brooke McAmis (COFC) def. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 6-0, 6-1
3. Samantha Maddox (COFC) def. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 6-1, 6-1
4. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Katherine Schofield (COFC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Grace Baker (COFC) 7-5, 6-2
6. Jenny Falcone (COFC) def. McKayla Zupan (APP) 6-2, 6-0
1. Jenny Falcone/Katherine Schofield (COFC) def. Gabrielle Wreder/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 8-2
2. Mara Argyriou/Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) def. Megan Mullen/Clare Cox (APP) 8-2
3. Samantha Maddox/Jamie Harrell (COFC) def. Jessica Thaggard/McKayla Zupan (APP) 8-3
Appalachian State 4-7
College of Charleston 5-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,6,2,1,4,5)