The Lenoir-Rhyne Women's Basketball Team (24-5) advanced to the 2014 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Tournament Championship after holding off Carson-Newman (16-14), 75-74, Saturday in the semifinals at Timmons Arena.
L-R, which won league tournament titles in 2003 and 2009, will face either second-seeded Wingate or sixth-seeded Anderson in the championship game Sunday at 4:00 p.m.
Top-seeded Lenoir-Rhyne, ranked No. 24 in NCAA Division II, received a game-high 21 points from junior guard Jazmine Charles (Lexington, N.C.) in the victory.
Four players scored in double figures for Carson-Newman, the fourth seed, despite the loss. The Eagles were led by Jai Jai McLaughlin (Knoxville, Tenn.), who finished with a team-high 17 points in the setback.
Carson-Newman missed a pair of free throws with 48 seconds left and a jump shot as time expired and the Bears were able to hold on for the win.
Junior guard Jenni Gust (Colfax, Wis.) added 15 points and senior guard Brittany Christian (Raleigh, N.C.) scored 10 points off the bench for the Bears, who are ranked first in the Southeast Region Poll as well this week and improved to 19-2 in their last 21 contests.
Gust broke a 72-72 tie with a trey with just under three minutes left and neither squad scored in the final 2:10 of regulation as the Bears defeated the Eagles for the second time this season.
Carson-Newman's Kaitlyn Cupples (Clinton, Tenn.) added 12 points and 14 rebounds but the Eagles hit just two-of-12 three-point attempts. Lenoir-Rhyne, meanwhile, hit nine three-pointers in the victory.
Lincoln Memorial Downs Lenoir-Rhyne, 7-2, In Women's Tennis
The Lenoir-Rhyne Women's Tennis Team (4-6, 0-4) fell to Lincoln Memorial (3-3, 1-1) by a 7-2 score Saturday afternoon in a South Atlantic Conference match.
Lenoir-Rhyne lost despite picking up victories at fourth singles from senior Lacey Lapp (Maitland, Fla.) and second doubles from seniors Nateesha Hurtt (Jacksonville, Fla.) and Lela Sparks Thompson (Hickory, N.C.).
Lenoir-Rhyne next hosts Pfeiffer at Hickory High School on Thursday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. Lincoln Memorial remains at home to take on Bellarmine tomorrow beginning at Noon.
NCAA Division II Women's Tennis
Lincoln Memorial 7, Lenoir-Rhyne 2
March 8, 2014
Lincoln Memorial Tennis Complex
1. Elena Vasilyeva (LMU) def. Zorica Djuric (L-R), 6-4, 6-1
2. Gemma Goodland (LMU) def. Nateesha Hurtt (L-R), 6-1, 6-1
3. Priscilla Bulandres (LMU) def. Lela Sparks Thompson (L-R), 7-5, 6-3
4. Lacey Lapp (L-R) def. Roksolana Prudyvus (LMU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Alexandra Granger (LMU) def. Maggie Brown (L-R), 6-4, 6-2
6. Aura Penalosa (LMU) def. Amanda Bryan (L-R), 6-4, 6-2
1. Gemma Goodland/Elena Vasilyeva (LMU) def. Zorica Djuric/Lacey Lapp (L-R), 8-2
2. Nateesha Hurtt/Lela Sparks Thompson (L-R) def. Roksolana Prudyvus/Alexandra Granger (LMU), 8-3
3. Priscilla Bulandres/Aura Penalosa (LMU) def. Maggie Brown/Meaghan Liner (L-R), 8-6
Lenoir-Rhyne Men's Tennis Bests Lincoln Memorial, 5-4
The Lenoir-Rhyne Men's Tennis Team (3-6, 1-3) downed Lincoln Memorial (1-4, 0-2), 5-4, Saturday afternoon for its first South Atlantic Conference win of the season.
Both junior Robin Hochguertel (Erlensee, GERMANY) and junior John Christian Reid (Claremont, N.C.) won at both singles and doubles for the Bears.
Hochguertel keyed Lenoir-Rhyne's win with victories at No. 1 singles over Lincoln Memorial's Will Sparks (Knoxville, Tenn.) and at first doubles.
Hochguertel teamed with freshman Hunter Pack (Cramerton, N.C.) to defeat the Railsplitters' Sparks and Marcelo Alvim (Sao Paulo, BRAZIL), 8-5.
Lenoir-Rhyne returns home to face Pfeiffer on Friday at 2:00 p.m., at Hickory High School. Lincoln Memorial faces Bellarmine on Sunday beginning at Noon.
NCAA Division II Men's Tennis
Lenoir-Rhyne 5, Lincoln Memorial 4
March 8, 2014
Lincoln Memorial Tennis Complex
1. Robin Hochguertel (L-R) def. Will Sparks (LMU), 6-3, 6-5
2. Kilian Symalla (L-R) def. O. O'Sullivan-Hamill (LMU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Marcelo Alvim (LMU) def. Filip Dobrosavljevic (L-R), 6-0, 6-0
4. Guilherme Rocha (LMU) def. Jordan Lawson (L-R), 6-1, 6-0
5. John Christian Reid (L-R) def. Alexey Minevskiy (LMU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
6. Stefan Hall (LMU) def. Matthew Ledford (L-R), 6-1, 6-1
1. Robin Hochguertel/Hunter Pack (L-R) def. Will Sparks/Marcelo Alvim (LMU), 8-5
2. O. O'Sullivan-Hamill/Guilherme Rocha (LMU) def. Filip Dobrosavljevic/Kilian Symalla (L-R), 8-2
3. Matthew Ledford/John Christian Reid (L-R) def. Alexey Minevskiy/Michael Koenen (LMU), 8-0
Records: Lenoir-Rhyne (3-6, 1-3 SAC), Lincoln Memorial (1-4, 0-2 SAC)
Photo Courtesy: Jazmine Charles, L-R Athletics