|ASU Men's Tennis Fall at No. 19 NC State|
|Written by Staff Reports|
|Friday, 07 March 2014 18:37|
Appalachian State University men’s tennis suffered a 7-0 loss at the hands of No. 19 NC State on Friday at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center.
The Mountaineers (4-3) fell behind early when the Wolfpack (10-2) picked up the doubles point and used that momentum to roll through singles play.
Appalachian’s top doubles pairing of Zach Bost/Sebastien King fell by an 8-4 score in the No. 1 doubles match while the No. 3 team of Steve Lake/Jan-Willem Kleynhans fell by an 8-1 tally.
The No. 2 team of Daniel Hoang/Oliver Casey nearly picked up the win at No. 8 as they forced their match into a tiebreak, but ultimately fell 8-7 (7-2).
In singles play, King dropped his match at No. 1 by a 6-2, 6-4 final while Casey dropped a 6-3, 6-4 bout at the No. 2 spot. Hoang was downed by a 6-1, 6-2 tally at No. 3. Bost put up a great effort, but was ultimately defeated by a 7-6 (7-2), 6-4 score.
In the final two singles matches, Jack Maddocks dropped a 6-2, 6-1 contest to nationally-ranked Thomas Weigel (No. 122) at No. 5 and Matt Saltsgaver was downed by a 6-1, 6-2 final in the last match of the day at No. 6.
The Mountaineers return to action next week when they head to Daytona Beach, Fla. for three matches. The action begins on Wednesday when the Apps square off against Stetson at 2:30 p.m.
#19 NC State 7, Appalachian State 0
Mar 07, 2014 at Raleigh, N.C. (J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center)
1. Sean Weber (NCSU) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-2, 6-4
2. Beck Bond (NCSU) def. Oliver Casey (APP) 6-3, 6-4
3. Ian Dempster (NCSU) def. Daniel Hoang (APP) 6-1, 6-2
4. Parker McGuiness (NCSU) def. Zach Bost (APP) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
5. Thomas Weigel (NCSU) def. Jack Maddocks (APP) 6-2, 6-1
6. Simon Norenius (NCSU) def. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) 6-1, 6-2
1. Thomas Weigel/Nick Horton (NCSU) def. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP) 8-4
2. Beck Bond/Austin Powell (NCSU) def. Daniel Hoang/Oliver Casey (APP) 8-7 (7-1)
3. Simon Norenius/Parker McGuiness (NCSU) def. Steve Lake/Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-1
Appalachian State 4-3
NC State 10-2; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,2,4,5,6)
|Share This Article:|