Four matches were all that were needed for Appalachian State University womens tennis cruised to a 4-0 victory over visiting Charlotte on Monday at Yonahlossee Racquet Club.
The Mountaineers (4-6) bounced back in emphatic fashion after dropping two 4-3 decision over the weekend while the 49ers (3-6) fell to a Southern Conference foe for the second time this year.
Clare Cox set the tone early for Appalachian as she picked up an easy 6-4, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles before Mackenzie LaSure rallied from a first-set loss to come away with a win at No. 2 (4-6, 7-5, 6-0).
Gabrielle Wreder also bounced back from a loss in the first set and won a second-set tiebreaker to snag a 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 win at the No. 3 spot. Brianna Armellino finished off the match with a win at No. 4 (7-6 (7-3), 6-1.
Jessica Thaggard won her first set at No. 5 by a 6-2 score while McKayla Zupan trailed 1-0 in the first set at No. 6 when the final point was scored by Armellino. No doubles matches were played as the Mountaineers clinched the win after singles play.
Appalachian State returns to action when it travels to Charleston, S.C. for four matches next week. The action begins as the Mountaineers take on College of Charleston on March 9 before facing Richmond (March 10), North Carolina (March 14) and Southern Miss (March 16) to end non-conference play.
Appalachian State 4, Charlotte 0
Mar 03, 2014 at Boone, N.C. (Yonahlossee Racquet Club)
1. Clare Cox (APP) def. Victoria Pahlett (CHA) 6-4, 6-0
2. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Lisa Grosselius (CHA) 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
3. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) def. Natsuko Takayanagi (CHA) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
4. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Tyler Baker (CHA) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) vs. Macy Vonderschmidt (CHA) 6-2, unfinished
6. McKayla Zupan (APP) vs. Jessica Pérez (CHA) 0-1, unfinished
Appalachian State 4-6
Order of finish: Singles (1,2,3,4)