|ASU Men Top Samford in SoCon Opener|
|Written by Ryan Bower|
|Monday, 03 March 2014 08:10|
A match-clinching win from Zach Bost was enough to push Appalachian State University men’s tennis past Samford, 4-3, in its Southern Conference opener on Sunday at the Samford Tennis center.
The Mountaineers (4-2, 1-0 SoCon) jumped out in front by taking the doubles point as they won at both the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, but the Bulldogs (2-6, 0-1) rallied back to tied the match at 3-3 after five singles matches before Bost mounted a comeback of his own to take the decisive point at No. 4.
Appalachian’s duo of Bost/Sebastien King took an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles while the tandem of Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang cruised to an 8-2 win at the No. 2 slot. Samford’s team of Austin Aikers/Fares Kilani took down the Mountaineer team of Jan-Willem Kleynhans/Steve Lake by an 8-5 tally at No. 3.
In singles play, the Bulldogs picked up wins at No. 1 and No. 2 before Hoang scored another point for Appalachian State with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 3. After splitting the No. 5 and No. 6 matches, with Jack Maddocks taking a 7-6 (8-4), 6-4 victory at No. 5.
That made the match 3-3 as Bost battled through his contest at No. 4 against Samford’s Trey Carter. After dropping the first set and trailing 3-1 early in the second, Bost rallied to win the second set in a tiebreaker before taking the third and final set to seal Appalachian’s victory by a 4-6, 7-6 (8-4), 6-4 final.
The Mountaineers will have a quick turnaround as they head to nationally-ranked ETSU on Tuesday. The match against the No. 53 Buccaneers is slated to begin at 2 p.m. - ETSU boasts the nation’s 102nd ranked singles player in David Biosca.
Appalachian will also face a second ranked foe when it heads to NC State on Friday to take on the No. 24 ranked Wolfpack. NC State has three nationally-ranked singles players and two nationally-ranked doubles teams.
Appalachian State 4, Samford 3
March 2, 2014 at Birmingham, Ala. (Samford Tennis Center)
1. Elliot Barnwell (SAM-MT) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-4, 6-1
2. Fares Kilani (SAM-MT) def. Oliver Casey (APP) 7-6, 6-0 (8-5)
3. Daniel Hoang (APP) def. Austin Akers (SAM-MT) 6-2, 6-4
4. Zach Bost (APP) def. Trey Carter (SAM-MT) 4-6, 7-6 (8-4), 6-4
5. Jack Maddocks (APP) def. Henry Moore (SAM-MT) 7-6 (8-4), 6-4
6. Liam Sullivan (SAM-MT) def. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) 6-4, 6-4
1. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP) def. Trey Carter/Elliot Barnwell (SAM-MT) 8-5
2. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) def. Liam Sullivan/Henry Moore (SAM-MT) 8-2
3. Austin Akers/Fares Kilani (SAM-MT) def. Jan-Willem Kleynhans/Steve Lake (APP) 8-5
Appalachian State 4-2, 1-0 SoCon
Samford 2-6, 0-1 SoCon
|Share This Article:|