The Mountaineers (3-6, 0-1 SoCon) fought from behind in their first conference match of the season as the Bulldogs (6-1, 1-0) took the early lead by inning the doubles point before going on to win three of the six singles matches.
Appalachians No. 1 duo of Gabrielle Wreder/Mackenzie LaSure was knocked off first by Samford as it lost 8-3 before the No. 3 doubles team of Olivia Isbey/McKayla Zupan fell 8-2.
The No. 2 doubles team of Clare Cox/Megan Mullen trailed 7-3, but the match went unfinished as Samford had already secured the doubles point.
Despite its best efforts to rally in singles play, Appalachian was unable to grab four points in the remaining six matches. Yasmeen Ebada defeated Wreder at the No. 3 singles 6-3, 6-2 while LaSure lost to Stephanie Ntcha 6-4, 6-3
Cox was the first to win a point for Appalachian as she defeated Kristin Lewis 6-1, 6-3 at No. 1. The Bulldogs Lauren Cabellero defeated Zupan at the No. 6 spot 6-3, 6-3 to secure the match win for Samford.
The Mountaineers played out their final two matches as Brianna Armellino snagged the win at No. 4, winning 6-4, 6-4 against Jessica Northcutt while Jessica Thaggard battled hard to come back from an early deficit to earn a tiebreaker. She carried her momentum into the extra-set where she won, finishing 4-6, 7-6, 10-7.
Appalachian will move on to play Charlotte as it finishes out a four-game homestand on Monday. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at Yonahlossee Racquet Club.
Samford 4, Appalachian State 3
Mar 1, 2014 at Boone, N.C. (Yonahlossee Racquet Club)
1. Clare Cox (APP) def. Kristin Lewis (SAM-WT) 6-1, 6-3
2. Stephanie Ntcha (SAM-WT) def. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 6-4, 6-3
3. Yasmeen Ebada (SAM-WT) def. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 6-3, 6-2
4. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Jessica Northcutt (SAM-WT) 6-4, 6-4
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Emily Mallory (SAM-WT) 4-6, 7-6, 10-7
6. Lauren Caballero (SAM-WT) def. McKayla Zupan (APP) 6-3, 6-3
1. Kristin Lewis/Stephanie Ntcha (SAM-WT) def. Gabrielle Wreder/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 8-3
2. Clare Cox/Megan Mullen (APP) vs. Yasmeen Ebada/Jessica Northcutt (SAM-WT) 3-7, unfinished
3. Emily Mallory/Lauren Caballero (SAM-WT) def. Olivia Isbey/McKayla Zupan (APP) 8-2
Appalachian State 3-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,2,1,6,4,5)