The Mountaineers (3-2) remained undefeated in doubles play, taking the first point of the match for the fourth time this season to take an early 1-0 lead over the Spiders (3-7).
Appalachian picked up an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles from the team of Sebastien King/Zach Bost as well as an 8-4 victory at the No. 3 spot from Jan-Willem Kleynhans/Steve Lake. The Apps also led 7-6 at the No. 2 spot as Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang were in position to sweep doubles, but the match went unfinished as Appalachian State had already clinched the doubles point.
In singles play, Richmond was able to grab an early lead as it won at both No. 1 and No. 2 singles, but Hoang tied the match at 2-2 as he took a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 3. After trading blows at the next two spots, which included a 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 win for Appalachian's Jack Maddocks at No. 5, Saltsgaver clinched the win for the Mountaineers by taking a 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 win at No. 6.
In the process, Saltsgaver improved to 3-1 on the season while the tandem of Bost/King remained undefeated in doubles play.
Appalachian State when it opens Southern Conference play at Samford on March 2.
Appalachian State 4, Richmond 3
Feb 22, 2014 at Conway, S.C.
1. Ethan Dunbar (UR) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-1, 6-0
2. Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Oliver Casey (APP) 7-6, 1-6, 6-1
3. Daniel Hoang (APP) def. Alex Hahn (UR) 6-2, 6-3
4. Dylan Trent (UR) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-7, 6-2, 6-0
5. Jack Maddocks (APP) def. Canyon Teague (UR) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. Jonathan Quenard (UR) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
1. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) def. Jacob Dunbar/Ethan Dunbar (UR) 8-6
2. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) vs. Alex Hahn/Canyon Teague (UR) 7-6, unfinished
3. Jan-Willem Kleynhans/Steve Lake (APP) def. Dylan Trent/Jonathan Quenard (UR) 8-4
Appalachian State 3-2
Photo Courtesy: Matt Saltgaver, ASU Athletics