|ASU Women Fall to North Carolina Central|
|Written by Ryan Bower|
|Saturday, 22 February 2014 11:05|
Appalachian State University women's tennis began its three-match weekend with a 4-3 loss to North Carolina Central on Friday at the NCCU Tennis Courts.
The Mountaineers (1-3) took the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, but dropped four singles matches to the Eagles (1-6) and suffered the loss.
Appalachian's team of Clare Cox/Gabrielle Wreder took an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles while Mackenzie LaSure/Brianna Armellino grabbed an 8-5 win at No. 2. NCCU took the win at No. 3 doubles as its team of Lynsey Cover/Tamara Jemeric defeated App State's Olivia Isbey/McKayla Zupan by an 8-1 final.
In singles play, the Eagles won each of the top four flights to earn the match victory, though the Mountaineers did get wins at No. 5 from Jessica Thaggard (6-1, 6-1) and at No. 6 from Sarah King (6-1, 6-0).
Cox suffered a 6-2, 7-5 loss at No. 1 while Wreder dropped a 7-5, 6-0 decision at No. 2. Armellino was defeated by a 6-4, 1-6, 10-8 tally at No. 3 and LaSure fell by a 7-6,6-7, 10-7 score at No. 4.
The Mountaineers return to action tomorrow when they take on Coastal Carolina at 2:30 p.m. before heading to Presbyterian on Sunday.
North Carolina Central 4, Appalachian State 3
Feb 21, 2014 at Durham, N.C. (NCCU Tennis Courts)
1. WOOD,Rebecca (NCCU) def. Clare Cox (APP) 6-2, 7-5
2. MUAMBA,Aissa (NCCU) def. Gabrielle Wreder (APP) 7-5, 6-0
3. NEKRASOVA,Ekaterina (NCCU) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-4, 1-6, 10-8
4. RAMIC,Mia (NCCU) def. Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 7-6, 6-7, 10-7
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. COVER,Lynsey (NCCU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Sarah King (APP) def. JEREMIC,Tamara (NCCU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Clare Cox/Gabrielle Wreder (APP) def. WOOD,Rebecca/NEKRASOVA,Ekaterina (NCCU) 8-4
2. Mackenzie LaSure/Brianna Armellino (APP) def. MUAMBA,Aissa/RAMIC,Mia (NCCU) 8-5
3. COVER,Lynsey/JEREMIC,Tamara (NCCU) def. Olivia Isbey/McKayla Zupan (APP) 8-1
Appalachian State 1-3
North Carolina Central 1-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,3,2,4,1)
|Share This Article:|