|Mountaineers Roll Past Bulldogs|
|Written by Ryan Bower|
|Monday, 17 February 2014 08:08|
Despite a two-week absence from competition, Appalachian State University men's tennis showed no rust as it dominated UNC Asheville in a 6-1 win on Sunday at Deer Valley Racquet Club.
The Mountaineers (2-1) picked up their second-straight victory and avenged last year's 6-1 loss to the Bulldogs (3-3) with an utterly dominant effort.
Appalachian set the tone early as it won the doubles point thanks to a pair of 8-6 doubles victories
by the pairings of Zach Bost/Sebastien King at No.1 and Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang at No. 2.
UNCA was able to pick up its own 8-6 win at No. 3 doubles, but it would not matter as the Mountaineers won the doubles point for the third time in as many matches.
In singles play, Hoang picked up a 6-4, 6-4 win at the No. 3 spot while Casey took a 6-3, 6-0 victory at No. 2 to put Appalachian up by a 3-0 score. With the Mountaineers just match away from the win, the Bulldogs responded at No. 1 as Daniel Kripak defeated King by a 6-2, 6-4 final.
It would be the only hiccup in Appalachian's lineup as Bost won by a 6-3, 6-4 final at No. 4. Jack Maddocks won 6-2, 6-3 and Matt Saltsgaver finished off UNCA with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 6.
Appalachian State returns to action when it heads to Conway, S.C. to take on Coastal Carolina (Feb. 21) and Richmond (Feb. 22) in the first of what will be 12-straight matches on the road.
Appalachian State 6, UNC Asheville 1
Feb 16, 2014 at Boone, N.C. (Deer Valley Racquet Club)
1. KRIPAK, Daniel (ASHM) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-2, 6-4
2. Oliver Casey (APP) def. PANOULAS, Thomas (ASHM) 6-3, 6-0
3. Daniel Hoang (APP) def. CROKER, Alex (ASHM) 6-4, 6-4
4. Zach Bost (APP) def. LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jack Maddocks (APP) def. SCHUBEL, John (ASHM) 6-4, 6-3
6. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. SWINDLER, Josh (ASHM) 6-2, 6-4
1. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP) def. CROKER, Alex/LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) 8-6
2. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APP) def. KRIPAK, Daniel/SCHUBEL, John (ASHM) 8-6
3. PANOULAS, Thomas/SWINDLER, Josh (ASHM) def. Steve Lake/Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-6
UNC Asheville 3-3
Appalachian State 2-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,1,2,4,5,6)
Official: Jim Williams T-4:28 A-93
|Share This Article:|