|Pioneers Win Playoff Opener|
|Written by Mike Kelly|
|Wednesday, 16 October 2013 08:17|
The Watauga High girl's tennis team defeated Asheville-Roberson in a tightly-contested match on Tuesday in the opening round of the North Carolina High School Athletic Association Class 4A state dual
The Pioneers, thanks to a strong effort in doubles play, defeated the Rams, 5-4. It's the second time the Pioneers have beaten Asheville-Roberson (12-4) this season (WHS beat the Rams in Boone on August 28). The win moves WHS (11-3) into a second-round match against Charlotte-Ardrey Kell (12-0) next Tuesday, October 22.
Both teams are No.1 seeds (WHS from the Northwestern 3A/4A Conference and Ardrey Kell from the South Mecklenburg 8 Conference), and home-court advantage will be determined by winning percentage. Ardrey Kell advanced by defeating Greensboro-Grimsley 5-1 in Charlotte.
On Tuesday, the Pioneers, playing on the road, snapped a 3-3 tie with a huge win at No.1 doubles. Meredith Smith and Nicole Fox put the Pioneers to top to stay with a 10-4 win against Kat Wiuckerwender and Audrey Chor of the Rams. Meghan Smith and Kelsi Kanoy clinched the match by dispensing Nicole Broffle and Sarah Black of the Rams 10-8 in their match at No.2 doubles.
WATAUGA 5, T.C. ROBERSON 4
1. Meredith Smith (W) d. Kat Wiuckerwender (TCR), 6-1, 6-3
2. Audrey Chor (TCR) d. Meghan Smith (W), 6-7, 6-1, 10-6
3. Nicole Broffle (TCR) d. Nicole Fox (W), 6-0, 6-1
4. Kelsi Kanoy (W) d. Maddie Bruce (TCR), 6-3, 6-2
5. Liz Clark (W) d. Ellie Fisher, (TCR), 6-4, 6-2
6. Sarah Black (TCR) d. Sarah Copeland (W), 6-3, 6-4
1. Meredith Smith/Fox (W) d. Wiuckerwender/Chor (TCR), 10-4
2. Meghan Smith/Kanoy (W) d. Broffle/Black (TCR), 10-8
3. Bruce/Fisher (TCR) d. Clark/Copeland (W), 10-1
|Share This Article:|