|App State Continues SoCon Play at The Citadel|
|Written by Mike Flynn|
|Friday, 04 October 2013 12:53|
Appalachian State University football looks to move to 2-0 in Southern Conference play when it travels to The Citadel on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 2
p.m. at Johnson Hagood Stadium in Charleston, S.C.
NOTING SATURDAY'S MATCHUP
• Appalachian State is 1-3 for the first time since 2003. That season, the Mountaineers rebounded to win six of their final seven games and finished 7-4 on the campaign.
• Appalachian has not started 1-4 since 1993, when it lost seven of its first eight games en route to a 4-7 finish.
• Appalachian’s three losses this season have come to teams with a combined 11-1 overall record this season (3-1 Montana, 3-0 North Carolina A&T and 5-0 Charleston Southern).
• The Mountaineers have not lost to a team with a losing record since a 30-27 defeat at 3-6 Western Carolina on Nov. 13, 2004. Appalachian’s last 26 defeats have all come against teams with records of .500 or better.
• Appalachian State is looking to move to 2-0 in Southern Conference play for the first time since 2010. The Mountaineers split their first two conference games in 2011 and 2012.
• Behind quarterbacks Jamal Londry-Jackson and Kameron Bryant, Appalachian leads the SoCon in passing offense (305.5 ypg) and ranks second in total offense (432.2 ypg).
• The Citadel will look to neutralize Appalachian’s aerial attack with its traditional potent ground game. Utilizing its triple-option offense, the Bulldogs ranks second in the SoCon in rushing (275.0 ypg) and are fourth in the league in scoring (28.4 ppg).
• Appalachian State has won 17 of the its 19 meetings with The Citadel. However, the Bulldogs snapped the Mountaineers’ eight-game winning streak in the series when they stunned Appalachian, 52-28, in last season’s SoCon opener at Kidd Brewer Stadium.
• Appalachian has won four-straight at The Citadel. Ironically, the Mountaineers’ last loss at Johnson Hagood Stadium was a 24-21 defeat in 2003 that dropped the Apps to 1-3, which was the last time before this season that App State lost three of its first four games.
For all of the information on Saturday's matchup, including links to live video, audio and stats, both teams' rosters, depth charts, game notes and much more, please visit appstatesports.com's official Gameday Central page.
Photo Courtesy: Malachi Jones, ASU Athletics
|Share This Article:|