files/0 (4).jpg
High Country News, Weather, and Bulletins

Todays ForecastToday:
70°F | 49°F | %
Tomorrows ForecastTomorrow:
71°F | 52°F | %
  Swap Shop Online
Home Sports Weather Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Autos
ASU Men’s Soccer Wins In Double OT PDF Print
Written by Ben Winterrowd   
Friday, 27 September 2013 08:24

Appalachian State University men’s soccer (2-1-5) topped the ETSU Buccaneers (2-3-2) by a 2-1 final in a thrilling two overtime match on Thursday evening.


The Mountaineers seemingly controlled the first half of play with most of it falling in Bucs territory. App State led in shots after the first half of play by a seven to one tally.

As the game would move on it became much more physical between both teams – a total of nine fouls called in the first 45 minutes, but officiating let them play on on many occasions.

The second half began just how the first half ended. Physical play dominated the pitch and both teams were getting their opportunities. It was in the 71st minute on a ball played in by Trey Hemphill (Asheville, N.C./T.C. Roberson) would connect with Stanley Broaden (Wilmington, N.C./Eugene Ashley) who would proceed to place the in the upper left 90 for his third goal of the season.

The 1-0 Mountaineer lead would last until the final minute of the second half. The Buccaneers tacked on an equalizing goal with 41 seconds remaining. It was a corner kick that Nate Hodges would eventually get past starting App State keeper Danny Free (Doncaster, England/Hall Cross School) to make it 1-1.

The remaining 41 seconds would tick off the clock and the game would then head into overtime – familiar territory for the Apps as they have finished this season with five ties.

Both teams would play a scoreless 10 minutes in the first overtime period with a few chances created for both teams. It was in the second overtime that the Mountaineers returned the favor to the Buccaneers.

With 31 seconds left in the second overtime period Stephen Chapman (Greensboro, N.C./Northwest Guilford) played a beauty of a ball to connect with Stanley Broaden who, like earlier in the game, blasted the golden goal game-winner in the upper right 90 this time to secure the win for Appalachian. The second goal of the game for Broaden was his fourth of the 2013 campaign. The game-winning goal was the first of Broaden’s career.

Free earned his second win of the season making one save and allowing just the one goal to get past him on numerous chances for ETSU.

The Mountaineers would outshoot the Bucs by an 18-15 margin. The physical play resulted in just 26 total fouls on the evening – 15 for the Mountaineers and 11 for the Bucs.

Appalachian State returns to action on Sunday when it hosts Furman in its first conference match of the season. Kick off is set for noon at Appalachian Soccer Stadium.

Photo Courtesy: Stanley Broaden, ASU Athletics 

Prev ArticleNext Article
Share This Article:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email