files/MDTB-GBR490x110-Sept2015.jpg files/0 (4).jpg
High Country News, Weather, and Bulletins

Todays ForecastToday:
70°F | 53°F | 30%
Tomorrows ForecastTomorrow:
58°F | 44°F | 70%
  Swap Shop Online
Home Sports Weather Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Autos
ASU Men's Soccer Falls to Radford PDF Print
Written by Ben Winterrowd   
Wednesday, 11 September 2013 08:00

Appalachian State University men’s soccer (1-1-2) fell to the Highlanders of Radford (1-1-1) by a final tally of 4-2 on Tuesday evening. It marks the first loss of the season for the Mountaineers in 2013.
The 90 minute contest seemingly could be broken down to all of two minutes with how Radford was able to answer goals from the Mountaineers in a timely fashion.
The Mountaineers got on the board first when an Alex Herbst corner kick connected with the head of Harrison Delbridge who drilled it into the back of the net to give the Apps an early 1-0 advantage in the 24th minute. The goal for Delbridge was his second of the season.
Joe Mayer answered the Delbridge goal only one minte and 22 seconds later to steal the Mountaineer momentum back. The Highlanders would grab the lead going into the half with a 39th minute goal from Chel Ho Park Him off of a rebounded shot by Mayer. The Mountaineers would head to the locker room down 2-1.
App State would be able to tie the game 10 minutes into the second half. A beautiful ball played up the far side by Delbridge would find forward Stanley Broaden who would take a few dribbles before crossing it into the box finding Stephen Chapman to pound home the equalizer to make it 2-2 in the 55th minute. The goal for Chapman was his second of the 2013 campaign.
With momentum swung in the Apps favor they almost struck again when Delbridge nearly headed in another corner kick but it took a team save from Bismark Amofah that almost gave the Mountaineers the lead back.
Mayer would then net his second goal of the game in the 67th minute. Then, 48 seconds later Mayer would complete his hat-trick and tally his third goal of the game to put the game out of reach at 4-2. Danny Free would earn the start again for Matt Nelson’s squad and made four saves on the night.
Appalachian would be outshot by a 17-6 advantage but the scoring chances were equal throughout the match. The Mountaineers will return to action on Saturday when they host USC Upstate at Appalachian Soccer Stadium. Kick off is set for 7 p.m.

Prev ArticleNext Article
Share This Article:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email