Written by Staff Reports
Friday, 23 August 2013 08:04
The Watauga High junior varisty football team had its game with Alexander Central cut short due to
lightning Thursday night at Cougars Stadium in Taylorsville, N.C. In turn, the Pioneers (0-1) came up on the short end of a 14-6 score.
Evan Suggs scored WHS' only touchdown on a one-yard run with 3:28 left to play in the first half. The TD was set up by Corey West's 50-yard run. West finished with 78 yards on four carries. Willis Ellis paced the WHS defense with six tackles.
The Pioneers will play their home opener next Thursday night against Ashe County at 7 p.m.
WATTS WINS COACHING DEBUT
It took a while, but the Watauga High girl's tennis team finally got to play its season opener. And it was worth the wait as the Pioneers (1-0) clobbered Ashe County 9-0 in a non-conference match at the WHS Tennis Courts Thursday afternoon.
Meredith Smith, Meghan Smith, Nicole Fox, Kelsi Kanoy, Liz Clark and Annita Davidson were victorious in singles play; Meredith Smith and Fox teamed up for a win at No.1 doubles; Meghan Smith and Clark picked up a win at No.2 doubles; and the doubles team of Davidson and Kanoy closed it out with a win at No.3.
The Pioneers travel to Ashe County for a non-conference match on Monday.
Watauga 9, Ashe County 0
1. Meredith Smith v. Hallie Brown 6-0, 6-0
2. Meghan Smith v. Maggie Witherspoon 6-0, 6-1
3. Nicole Fox v. Grace Miller 6-1, 6-0
4. Kelsi Kanoy v. Mary Tugman 6-1, 6-0
5. Liz Clark v. Ella Copeland 6-0, 6-0
6. Annika Davidson v. Erin Griffin 6-1, 6-0
1. Meredith Smith/Nicole Fox v. Hallie Brown/Maggie Witherspoon 8-0
2. Meghan Smith/Liz Clark v. Grace Miller/Mary Tugman 8-0
3. Kelsi Kanoy/Annika Davidson v. Ella Copeland/Erin Miller 8-0