Appalachian State men’s tennis entered its match versus No. 8 seed Furman with high hopes, but fell early as the Paladins scored the first four points of the
morning to capture a 4-0 decision on day one of the 2013 Southern Conference Men’s Tennis Championships at Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
First round competition kicked off with Furman (9-13, 6-5 SoCon) taking the doubles point, as number three pair Jacob Behal and Tyler Droll picked up an 8-3 win over senior Steve Karendal and sophomore Steve Lake. The Paladins wrapped up doubles competition when Alex Christ and Matt Browne defeated Andrew McKinnon and Jan-Willem Kleynhans, 8-5, at No. 2.
The Mountaineers (6-15, 3-8 SoCon) fought through singles play, but fell short in their bid to advance to the next round. Furman scored wins at No. 1, 5, and 6 to total its four points and the early victory.
Steve Karendal dropped a 6-0, 6-1 decision at No. 1 to give Furman its second point. Furman’s Behal followed shortly behind at number six with a straight-set victory over Kleynhans, 6-4, 6-4, for the third point of the morning.
Matt Saltsgaver then fell short to Luke Synn in his No. 5 match, giving up a 7-5, 6-0 decision to finalize the Furman victory.
The Paladins will move on to the quarterfinals of the SoCon Tournament, where they will face No. 1 Elon on Friday, April 19.
Appalachian finishes its season at 6-15 overall and 3-8 in conference action, marking the final match for seniors Steve Karendal, Andrew McKinnon, and Zeke Sansing.
Furman 4, Appalachian State 0
Apr 18, 2013 at Elon University
At Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
1. Andrew Mellow (FUR) def. Steve Karendal (APP) 6-0, 6-1
2. Sebastien King (APP) vs. Matt Browne (FUR) no result
3. Zach Bost (APP) vs. Alex Christ (FUR) no result
4. Andrew McKinnon (APP) vs. Joel Cook (FUR) no result
5. Luke Synn (FUR) def. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) 7-5, 6-0
6. Jacob Behal (FUR) def. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 6-4, 6-4
1. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) vs. Andrew Mellow/Joel Cook (FUR) no result
2. Alex Christ/Matt Browne (FUR) def. Andrew McKinnon/Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-5
3. Jacob Behal/Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Steve Karendal/Steve Lake (APP) 8-3
Appalachian State 6-15
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,6,5)
Furman advances to the SoCon Men's Tennis Championship quarterfinals
Photo Courtesy: Sebastien King, ASU Athletics