|ASU Clinches Senior Day Victory|
|Written by Jennifer Clark|
|Friday, 12 April 2013 20:44|
Appalachian State men’s tennis wrapped up its regular season home slate on a winning note with a 5-2 victory over Gardner-Webb on Friday afternoon at ASU Tennis Courts.
The Mountaineers (5-14, 2-7) honored seniors Steve Karendal, Andrew McKinnon, and Zeke Sansing prior to the match. Appalachian swept doubles competition with a pair of 8-6 victories at No. 1 and No. 3, while the doubles duo of McKinnon and Jen-Willem Kleynhans picked up an impressive 8-3 win at No. 2 to post the first point.
The Apps owned the first four slots in singles action as Karendal and McKinnon each nailed their matches at No. 1 and No. 4, respectively, with 6-1, 6-0 and 6-2, 6-0 finishes. sebastien King and Zach Bost added to the tally with Nos. 2 and 3 victories. King defeated Gardner-Webb’s Piftor, 6-2, 6-4, while Bost rolled past Benjamin Kaszas, 6-2, 6-1.
The Bulldogs (9-9, 3-4 Big South) managed to score two points off the remaining fifth and sixth flights for the 5-2 decision. The Mountaineers close out regular season play with a road match at Wofford on Saturday, April 13 at 1 p.m.
Appalachian State 5, Gardner-Webb University 2
Apr 12, 2013 at Boone, N.C. (ASU Tennis Courts)
1. Steve Karendal (APP) def. Adam Knutsson (GWU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Sebastien King (APP) def. Roman Piftor (GWU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Zach Bost (APP) def. Benjamin Kaszas (GWU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Andrew McKinnon (APP) def. Ernest Alberch (GWU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Brendan Dempsey (GWU) def. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) 4-6, 7-5, 10-5
6. Nikita Zverkov (GWU) def. Zeke Sansing (APP) 6-3, 6-0
1. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) def. Matt Parker/Ernest Alberch (GWU) 8-6
2. Andrew McKinnon/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Adam Knutsson/Nikita Zverkov (GWU) 8-3
3. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) def. Benjamin Kaszas/Joao Poli (GWU) 8-6
Gardner-Webb University 9-9 (3-4 Big South)
Appalachian State 5-14 (2-7 SoCon)
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,3,4,1,2,5)
Photo Courtesy: Andrew McKinnon, ASU Athletics
|Share This Article:|