|Elon Whips ASU Men's Tennis, 6-1|
|Written by Jennifer Clark|
|Thursday, 11 April 2013 12:40|
Appalachian State men’s tennis was defeated at home by Southern Conference foe Elon, 6-1, on Wednesday, April 10 at the ASU Tennis Courts. With the loss, the Mountaineers’ overall record falls to 4-14 and 2-7 in the SoCon, while the Phoenix improve to 15-7 and 8-2 in conference action.
On the doubles side, Elon swept all three matches to claim the early point. The Phoenix captured a pair of 8-3 victories at No. 1 and No. 3, and defeated Jen-Willem Kleynhans and Andrew McKinnon, 8-2, at No. 2. Moving into single play, Elon took five slots to clinch the team victory. Sebastien King fell, 6-3, 6-1, to Stefan Fortmann at No 1, while Zach Bost dropped No. 3 flight to Jordan Kaufman (6-1, 7-5).
At the No. 6 spot, Steve Lake was defeated by Carlos Arboleda in a pair of 6-3 sets. Andrew McKinnon and Matt Saltsgaver both played tough matches to force three sets at Nos. 4 and 5, respectively. McKinnon dropped his first set, 6-4, but picked up a 6-2 win in the second set. Elon’s Kaufman rallied, however, with a 7-1 third set for the match point. Saltsgaver also dropped his first set, 6-2, to Brian Kowalski, but returned with a 7-5 answer in the second set. Kowalski responded to finish 10-3 in the third set.
Steve Karendal recorded Appalachian’s lone point with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Robert Lindgren at No 2. The Mountaineers return to action on Friday, April 12 when they host a non-conference match against Gardner-Webb at 2:30 p.m.
Elon 6, Appalachian State 1
Apr 10, 2013 at Boone, N.C. (ASU Tennis Courts)
1. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-3, 6-1
2. Steve Karendal (APP) def. Robert Lindgren (ELON) 7-5, 6-4
3. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-1, 7-5
4. Brian Kowalski (ELON) def. Andrew McKinnon (APP) 6-4, 2-6, 7-1
5. Juan Madrid (ELON) def. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) 6-2, 5-7, 10-3
6. Carlos Arboleda (ELON) def. Steve Lake (APP) 6-3, 6-3
1. Cameron Silverman/Stefan Fortmann (ELON) def. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) 8-3
2. Robert Lindgren/Brian Kowalski (ELON) def. Jen-Willem Kleynhans/Andrew McKinnon (APP) 8-2
3. Juan Madrid/Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) 8-3
Elon 15-7 (8-2 SoCon)
Appalachian State 4-14 (2-7 SoCon)
|Share This Article:|