|No.70 UNCG Edges Past Appalachian|
|Written by Jennifer Clark|
|Wednesday, 03 April 2013 06:57|
Appalachian State women’s tennis dropped a tough match to a No. 70-ranked UNCG women’s team on Tuesday afternoon at UNCG Tennis Courts in Greensboro, N.C.
With the loss, the Mountaineers (11-7) are now an even 3-3 in league play, while the Spartans (11-5) improve to a 7-1 SoCon record. The afternoon began with UNCG taking the first team point after winning all three doubles matches.
In a new doubles pairing, freshmen Clare Cox and Mackenzie LaSure fell 8-1 at No. 1 to Nitooli Wilkins and Alex Whitehead, as Ellie Linsell and Brianna Armellino dropped an 8-4 match to Kayla Gammie and Anette Rios at No. 2.
Gabriela Celi and Jennifer Ansari were unable to overcome Stephanie Falcon and Dilara Yurtkura, who won at No. 3 in an 8-6 final. Moving into singles play, the two squads would trade points as Rios lead the Spartans to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Ansari at No. 4, but Appalachian’s Cox rebutted with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Yurtkuran at No. 2.
Brianna Armellino and Jessica Thaggard both fell in three-set matches at No’s. 3 and 5, before Celi defeated Soumeya Anane in a three-set victory at No. 6 (3-6, 6-3, 6-3). Wilkins finished out the day in UNCG’s favor after a tough match against Linsell at No. 1 (6-3, 4-6, 7-5).
The Mountaineers will return to action on Friday, April 5 when they travel to Davidson to face the Wildcats at 3:30 p.m.
UNCG 5, Appalachian State 2
Apr 02, 2013 at UNCG
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Ellie Linsell (APP) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
2. Clare Cox (APP) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-4, 6-2
3. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-1, 5-7, 7-5
4. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Jennifer Ansari (APP) 6-3, 6-2
5. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Jessica Thaggard (APP) 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
6. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. Soumeya Anane (UNCG) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Niltooli Wilkins/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Clare Cox/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 8-1
2. Kayla Gammie/Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Ellie Linsell/Brianna Armellino (APP) 8-4
3. Stephanie Falcon/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Gabriela Celi/Jennifer Ansari (APP) 8-6
Appalachian State 11-7, 3-3 SoCon
UNCG 11-5, 7-1 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,2,5,3,6,1)
|Share This Article:|