|ASU Tennis Suffers 5-2 Loss to UNCG|
|Written by Jennifer Clark|
|Saturday, 30 March 2013 09:02|
Appalachian State men’s tennis lost its second conference match in one week, falling to UNCG, 5-2, on Friday afternoon at Grandfather Mountain Country Club.
Appalachian’s No. 3 tandem of Steve Lake and Steve Karendal picked up an 8-5 win over Cameron Smith and Gaston Murray in doubles competition, but it would not be enough as the Mountaineers (4-10, 2-3 SoCon) dropped the doubles point to the Spartans (10-2, 4-2 SoCon), who took wins at No’s. 1 and 2 to clinch the early lead.
In singles action, SoCon Player of the Week Sebastien King dropped his match to Ahmet Sarioglu at No. 1, 7-5, 7-5, while at No. 2, Karendal won the first of Appalachian’s two points 6-4, 7-6 (4) against James Dougherty. Zach Bost fell 6-4, 6-3 to Murray in No. 3 flight, alongside Andrew McKinnon, who lost 6-2, 6-1 to Randy Phillips at No. 4.
Jen-Willem Kleynhans earned a 7-5, 6-1 defeat of Cameron Smith to pick up the Mountaineers’ final point of the day as Matt Saltsgaver dropped a hard-fought match to Daniel Mack at No. 5, 7-5, 6-2 to close out the afternoon. The Mountaineers will continue their SoCon home stretch against Samford on Saturday, March 30 Grandfather Mountain Country Club at noon.
UNCG 5, Appalachian State 2
Mar 29, 2013 at Boone, N.C. (Grandfather Mountain Country Club)
1. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Sebastien King (APP) 7-5, 7-5
2. Steve Karendal (APP) def. James Dougherty (UNCG) 6-4, 7-6 (4-0)
3. Gaston Murray (UNCG) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-4, 6-3
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Andrew McKinnon (APP) 6-2, 6-1
5. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) 7-5, 6-2
6. Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG) 7-5, 6-1
1. James Dougherty/Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) 8-6
2. Ahmet Sarioglu/Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Andrew McKinnon/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-6
3. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) def. Cameron Smith/Gaston Murray (UNCG) 8-5
UNCG 10-2 (4-2 SoCon)
Appalachian State 4-10 (2-3 SoCon)
|Share This Article:|