Appalachian State women’s tennis claimed its third straight conference win to add to analready strong season, when it handed SoCon foe Georgia Southern a 6-1 decision at ASU
Tennis Courts on Sunday afternoon.The Mountaineers (11-4, 3-0 Socon) opened the match on a high note after duo Ellie Linsell and Mackenzie LaSure finished 8-3 against the Eagles’ (5-7, 2-3 SoCon) Paola Garrido and Mary Phillips Smith to capture No. 1. GSU responded, however, with an 8-3 victory over Clare Cox and Jennifer Ansari at No. 2 to split the matches and bring it to a deciding third, where Jordana Klein and Caitlin Kitchen outlasted Brianna Armellino and Gabriela Celi to an 8-4 win for the doubles’ decision and 1-0 advantage heading into singles action.
Appalachian pulled the momentum back in its favor and never looked back when it swept through singles competition. The Mountaineers put up victories in the first three matches of the afternoon with Linsell overcoming Garrido in a 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 1 to knot the Mountaineers at one with the Eagles. Armellino added a 6-3, 6-1 victory against Stephanie Woods in No. 3 flight, and Gabriela Celi posted a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 6 to advance the Black & Gold by one (3-1).
Not far behind, Ansari and Thaggard nailed the fourth and fifth matches with 6-4, 6-2 and 6-0, 6-4 wins, respectively. Rounding out Appalachian’s impressive afternoon was Clare Cox who defeated Jordana Klein in a tiebreak (6-4, 7-6 (7-2)) to secure the Mountaineer victory.
The Mountaineers will return to action and continue their Socon slate when they welcome College of Charleston to the High Country on March 24 at noon.
Appalachian State 6, Georgia Southern 1
Mar 17, 2013 at Boone, N.C. (ASU Tennis Courts)
1. Ellie Linsell (APP) def. Paola Garrido (GSU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Clare Cox (APP) def. Jordana Klein (GSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Stephanie Woods (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jennifer Ansari (APP) def. Mary Phillips Smith (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. Caitlin Kitchen (GSU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Ellie Linsell/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Paola Garrido/Mary Phillips Smith (GSU) 8-3
2. Stephanie Woods/Natalie Maffett (GSU) def. Clare Cox/Jennifer Ansari (APP) 8-3
3. Jordana Klein/Caitlin Kitchen (GSU) def. Brianna Armellino/Gabriela Celi (APP) 8-4
Georgia Southern 5-7 (2-3 SoCon)
Appalachian State 11-4 (3-0 SoCon)
Photo Courtesy: Gabriela Celi, ASU Athletics