Appalachian State men’s tennis opened its SoCon slate with a 5-2 victory over The Citadel on Friday afternoon at Earle Tennis Center in Charleston, South Carolina. With the win, the Mountaineers (3-7, 1-0 SoCon) improve to 2-1 in March
play, while the Bulldogs (5-6, 0-3 SoCon) are 0-4 on the month, with three conference losses including today’s loss to Appalachian.
The Citadel started off strong with doubles competition. While Appalachian’s No. 1 duo Zach Bost/Sebastien King defeated Oliver Dedding/David Orces in the first match of the day, the Bulldogs took the doubles decision with 8-5 and 8-6 victories at No’s. 2 and 3, respectively.
David Orces carried the momentum for the Citadel as he overcame Sebastien King in No. 1 flight (6-2, 6-3) to give the Bulldogs an early two point advantage. The Mountaineers responded, however, picking up wins in the remaining matches. Steve Karendal defeated Dillon Berkabile at No. 2 (6-1, 7-5), while Bost posted a 6-1, 6-1 win versus Peter Bleach in No. 3. Rounding out Appalachian’s two-set victories were Andrew McKinnon, who bested James Atkinson (6-4, 7-5) in No. 4 flight, and Zeke Sansing, who defeated Jackson Pride (6-3, 6-4) in the sixth position. Matt Saltsgaver found success at No. 5, where he defeated Elliott Sperr in three sets (3-6, 6-4, 6-4).
Up next, the Mountaineers remain in Charleston, South Carolina as they continue conference play with a match against College of Charleston on Sat., March 16 at 11 a.m.
Appalachian State 5, The Citadel Men's Tennis 2
Mar 15, 2013 at Charleston, S.C. (Earle Tennis Center)
1. David Orces (CIT) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-2, 6-3
2. Steve Karendal (APP) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 6-1, 7-6
3. Zach Bost (APP) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-1, 6-1
4. Andrew McKinnon (APP) def. James Atkinson (CIT) 6-4, 7-5
5. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. Elliott Sperr (CIT) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Zeke Sansing (APP) def. Jackson Pride (CIT) 6-3, 6-4
1. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP) def. Oliver Dedding/David Orces (CIT) 8-5
2. Peter Bleach/Alex Howle (CIT) def. Andrew McKinnon/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-5
3. JC Pauli/Dillon Berkabile (CIT) def. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) 8-6
Appalachian State 3-7
The Citadel Men's Tennis 5-6
ASU Women’s Tennis Takes Down Campbell, 5-2
Appalachian State women’s tennis closed out their four-match road series with a 5-2 victory at Campbell University on Friday afternoon at Nisbet Tennis Center. The Mountaineers (10-4, 2-0 SoCon) posted a pair of disappointing losses to Gardner-Webb and UNCW earlier in the week, but bounced right back when they took down the Fighting Camels (4-9) to notch another win in their impressive start to the season. Appalachian’s top tandem of Ellie Linsell and Mackenzie LaSure lead the Mountaineers in doubles action with an 8-5 win over Tamara Stanic and Karolina Chernaya at No. 1. The Fighting Camels lived up to their name, however, and redeemed in doubles competition with victories at No’s. 2 and 3 to grab the first point and the early 1-0 lead.
The Mountaineers were ready to respond as senior leader Ellie Linsell defeated Campbell’s Stanic a second time on the afternoon with a 6-2, 6-3 victory in No. 1 flight. Clare Cox joined with a win of her own at No. 2, where she pulled past Ana Maria Ortiz in three-sets (4-6, 6-4, 6-3) to edge the Mountaineers ahead of Campbell, 2-1.
The Camels came to life briefly when Chernaya outlasted Brianna Armellino in a three-set tiebreak at No. 3 (6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 6-4) to knot the score at two. The Black & Gold responded, securing Appalachian’s win with victories at No’s. 4, 5, and 6. Jennifer Ansari defeated Natasha Afridi, 7-5, 6-4, while Jessica Thaggard (6-2, 6-1) and Gabriella Celi (6-1, 6-2) rounded out the match for Appalachian.
Glancing ahead, the Mountaineers will return to Boone to host SoCon foe Georgia Southern on Sun., March 17 at noon at the ASU Tennis Courts.
Appalachian State 5, Campbell 2
Mar 15, 2013 at Buies Creek, N.C. (Nisbet Tennis Center)
1. Ellie Linsell (APP) def. Tamara Stanic (CAM) 6-2, 6-3
2. Clare Cox (APP) def. Ana Maria Ortiz (CAM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Karolina Chernaya (CAM) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 6-4
4. Jennifer Ansari (APP) def. Natasha Afridi (CAM) 7-5, 6-4
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Lourdes Ros (CAM) 6-2, 6-1
6. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. Kirsten Renz (CAM) 6-1, 6-2
1. Ellie Linsell/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Tamara Stanic/Karolina Chernaya (CAM) 8-5
2. Ana Maria Ortiz/Natasha Afridi (CAM) def. Clare Cox/Jennifer Ansari (APP) 8-5
3. Ewa Telenga/Lourdes Ros (CAM) def. Brianna Armellino/Gabriela Celi (APP) 8-6
Appalachian State 10-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,6,1,4,3,2)