Appalachian State men's tennis posted its first victory of the 2013 season, defeating Tennessee Tech, 4-3 this afternoon at Deer Valley Racquet Club. The Mountaineers fell behind 1-0 at the conclusion of doubles play as the No. 1 doubles team
of Zachary Bost and Sebastien King fell 8-3 to Tennessee Tech's Syrym Adbukhalikov and Alejandro Augusto. After a tough match that was tied at six all the No. 2 doubles team of Steve Karendal and Andrew McKinnon was unable to hold on and fell 8-6 to the Golden Eagles.
Steve Lake and Jan-Willem Kleynhans picked up the Apps only win in doubles as they defeated Alvara Cintas and Arutro Santa 8-3. Appalachian was unable to get a win in either No. 1 singles or No. 2 singles, as both King and Bost fell to their opponents. The Black and Gold's first win in singles on the afternoon came when Karendal defeated Tarasov, 6-1, 6-0 in No. 3 singles.
Kleynhans earned his second win on the day when he defeated Vasily Eremeev, 6-3, 6-2 in No. 4 singles bringing the Apps within one of Tennessee Tech. The Apps continued to battle back as they earned victories in both No. 5 singles and No. 6 singles. Matt Saltsgaver posted a 6-2, 6-2 win in No. 5 singles, while McKinnon notched the 6-3, 6-2 win in No. 6 singles to solidify the Mountaineer victory.
With the win, Appalachian improves to 1-4 overall on the season, while the Golden Eagles fall to 0-7 overall on the season. App State will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 9 when they travel to Asheville, N.C. to take on UNC Asheville. The match is scheduled to start at 3 p.m.
ASU 4, TTU 3
1. Syrym Abdukhalikov (TTU) def. Sebastien King (APP) 7-6, 6-4
2. Alejandro Augusto (TTU) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-2, 6-5
3. Steve Karendal (APP) def. Artem Tarasov (TTU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Jen-Willem Kleynhan (APP) def. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Matt Saltgaver (APP) def. Arturo Santa (TTU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Andrew McKinnon (APP) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Syrym Addukhalikov - Alejandro Augusto (TTU) def. Zach Bost - Sebastien King (APP) 8-3
2. Artem Tarasov - Vasily Eremeev (TTU) def. Steve Karendel - Andrew McKinnon (APP) 8-6
3. Steve Lake - Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Alavaro Cintas - Arturo Santa (TTU) 8-3