Appalachian State University football held its final scheduled intrasquad scrimmage of the preseason on Saturday evening as part of its annual Fan Fest at Kidd Brewer Stadium. A crowd of approximately 7,000 was on hand to see the Mountaineers battle for 78 plays.
• Saturday's scrimmage was a fairly even battle, with the offense scoring six touchdowns and two field goals on its 16 possessions and the defense forcing three turnovers, five three-and-outs and scoring a touchdown of its own.
• The scrimmage started with a bang when junior quarterback Jamal Jackson connected with redshirt freshman wide receiver Sean Price for a 75-yard touchdown pass down the right sideline. Price got a step on the secondary and Jackson brought the crowd to its feet when he made a perfect pass to hit Price in stride for the easy score on the first play from scrimmage.
• Price finished with 105 yards on six catches to lead all players.
• Jackson completed 13 of his 20 passes without an interception for 174 yards and a touchdown. He led the first-team offense two three scores (a touchdown and two field goals) in seven series.
• Walk-on freshman running back sensation Ricky Fergerson continued his push to make the travel roster by rushing for a game-high 54 yards on just four carries, including a game-best 43-yarder that set up a touchdown.
• Backup quarterback Kameron Bryant engineered five touchdown drives for the second-team offense. The redshirt freshman had one of his finest individual performances of the fall, completing 10-of-11 passes for 143 yards and a touchdown and rushing for 10 yards and another score.
• Redshirt freshman wideout Bobo Beathard made one of the top offensive plays of the day when he made a leaping catch of a pass from Bryant and had the wherewithal to get a toe down in-bounds for an acrobatic 15-yard touchdown catch.
• Defensively, redshirt freshman defensive back Henry Barnes led all tacklers with nine and also broke up a pass.
• Fellow redshirt freshman defensive back Chris Shaffer chipped in with seven stops and a pass break-up.
• Senior linebackers Jeremy Kimbrough and Brandon Grier added seven and six tackles, respectively, and both recorded tackles for loss.
• Sophomore linebacker Jamal Ware led all players with two sacks and three tackles for loss.
• True freshman defensive tackle Greg Milhouse had a big day with a sack, tackle for loss, forced fumble and fumble recovery.
• The defensive play of the day came when Milhouse sacked Bryant to force a fumble that was scooped up by sophomore linebacker Brandon McGowan and returned 20 yards for a touchdown.
• One of the most entertaining plays of the day came on the final snap of the scrimmage senior running back Matt Watson fumbled into the end zone and, in the mad scramble for the ball, redshirt freshman wide receiver Trey Kavanaugh hustled from well away from the play to dive on it for a touchdown.
• Sophomore Doug Middleton had a good showing in the return game, taking back a kickoff 95 yards for a touchdown and returning a punt 70 yards to set up another score.
Rushing: Fergerson 4-54, TD; Chisholm 9-35; Jackson 7-30; Frazier 6-27, TD; Magloire 5-24; Holloway 4-16; Bryant 11-10, TD; Watson 1-4; Andre 1-1; Kavanaugh 0-0, TD.
Passing: Jackson 13-20-0, 174 yds., TD; Bryant 10-11-0, 143 yds., TD
Receiving: Price 6-105, TD; Jones 3-69; Washington 4-39; Holloway 1-33; McElfresh 1-21; Sumler 3-15; Beathard 1-15, TD; Kavanaugh 2-11; Peacock 2-9.
DEFENSIVE STATISTICS (including special teams tackles and fumbles)
Tackles: H. Barnes 9; Kimbrough 7; Shaffer 7; Grier 6; Blalock 5; Ross 5; S. Burns 4; Krah 4; Lott 4; Sanders 4; Singleton 4; Blair 3; Robinson 3; Roper 3; Ware 3; Canepa 2; Milhouse 2; Shriner 2; Walton 2; Beathard 1; Davies 1; Frazier 1; Hall 1; Harris 1; Kavanaugh 1; McCray 1; McGowan 1; Middleton 1; Ma. Moll 1; Scott 1; Thomas 1.
Tackles For Loss: Ware 3; Milhouse 2; Blair 1; Canepa 1; Grier 1; Kimbrough 1; McCray 1; Singleton 1; Robinson 1.
Sacks: Ware 2; Grier 1; Milhouse 1; Robinson 1.
Forced Fumbles: S. Burns 1; Milhouse 1; Robinson 1; Walton 1.
Fumble Recoveries: Blalock 1; McGowan 1; Milhouse 1; Singleton 1.
Pass Break-ups: H. Barnes 1; McCray 1.
Field Goals: Stewart 2-2 (43, 49); Matics 1-1 (42); Martin 0-1 (42); Powell 0-1 (43).
PAT: Powell 3-3; Matics 2-2; Stewart 2-2.
Punting: Martin 3-145 (48.3 avg.)
The following players did not participate in Saturday's scrimmage due to injury: OL Alex Acey (head - day-to-day), LB Karl Anderson (head - day-to-day), DB Dante Blackmon (knee - season), DL Thomas Bronson (head - day-to-day), LB Drew Dowdy (thigh - day-to-day), OL Kalan Jones (head - day-to-day), RB Steven Miller (hip - day-to-day), OL Matt Privette (head - day-to-day), WR Jonathan Shively (back - day-to-day), WR Andy Shuler (knee - day-to-day), DB Rodger Walker (illness - day-to-day) and TE Jey Yokeley (leg - 3-5 weeks).
WHAT'S UP NEXT
Appalachian State wraps up its fall camp with one final day of two-a-day practices on Monday. With the beginning of classes at Appalachian on Tuesday, the Mountaineers will settle into a typical in-season schedule and begin installing the gameplan for the Sept. 1 season opener at East Carolina in earnest.
Photo Courtesy: Sean Price, ASU Athletics