|ASU Women's Soccer Opens Preseason Against Campbell|
|Written by ASU Sports Information|
|Thursday, 09 August 2012 08:10|
With the 2012 season approaching, Appalachian State women's soccer will host Campbell in its first of two exhibitions Thursday, Aug. 9 at the Ted Mackorell Soccer Complex. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m.
The Mountaineers are coming off a 6-11-2 overall record in 2011 and a 2-7-2 mark in the Southern Conference, which placed App State in a tie for tenth in the standings. Appalachian will carry four seniors on the 2012 roster, highlighted by defender Taylor Dunlap who has played in 56 consecutive games for the Mountaineers. Midfielders Sam McVeigh and Hannah Coad also return, looking to provide leadership to the team. They will look to feed the ball to forward Meggie Graham who tallied two goals a three assists a year ago. Sophomore forward Julia Holz also returns after leading App State in goals last season with five. Joining Holz on the pitch will be fellow sophomore Amy Kolowsky who played in goal for every minute of the 2011 season. The Columbia, S.C. native tallied four shutouts and 95 saves for head coach Sarah Strickland's squad.
Campbell comes into its first and lone exhibition of the season as the favorites of the Big South Conference in just its second season in the league. The Camels were selected by the coaches of the Big South to finish first in the league after finishing 15-5-2 last season. Campbell advanced to the Big South championship match in 2011, before falling to Radford, 1-0. The Camels return two of their top goal scorers from a season ago as sophomore Ashley Clark and redshirt senior Kirsty Meyer combined for 17 goals and 13 assists. Sophomore Michelle Procaccini and senior Taylor Brown also return to lineup after scoring five goals in 2011. Redshirt senior Ryann Torrero will be in goal for Campbell after posting 13 wins and 102 saves last season. Campbell leads the all-time series between the schools, holding a 5-2-2 record against the Mountaineers. Appalachian captured the last meeting in 2009 with a 2-1 victory.
- The 2012 season will mark the 18th year of Appalachian State women's soccer.
- Head coach Sarah Strickland enters her third season at the helm for App State. Strickland's next victory will move her into second place of the Appalachian State all-time wins list.
- High school teammates will meet as Appalachian's Kate Ward and Campbell's Alexis Connors both played for St. Pius X in Atlanta, Ga. and App State junior Jordan Vezina will meet Campbell freshman Cydney Smith, as both are products of Green Hope High School in Cary, N.C.
- The seasons' ASU roster includes players from 10 different states, with 13 coming from North Carolina
- Appalachian's next exhibition is set for Sunday, Aug. 12 at ETSU and will open the regular season at Clemson on Friday, Aug. 17.
Photo Courtesy: Taylor Dunlap, ASU Athletics
|Share This Article:|