Lenoir-Rhyne's Kate Griewisch finished third out of 16 runners with a time of 35:04.60 in the women's 10,000-meter finals at the 2012 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track and Field National Championships Thursday night at the Neta
and Eddie DeRose Thunderbowl. Grand Valley State's Rachel Patterson (34:55.03) edged Western State's Lauren Kleppin (34:56.86) to win the event and the national championship.
Griewisch, a senior from Banner Elk, N.C., earned All-American honors in the event for the second straight season with her performance.
Last year, Griewisch finished sixth in the 10K finals. The top eight runners in each event garner All-American accolades.
Griewisch, Lenoir-Rhyne's record-holder in 1,500-meter (4:32), 5,000-meter (16:20) and 10,000-meter (33:44) runs, is now a six-time All-American in three different sports.
Griewisch earned NCAA Division II All-American accolades three times in women's cross country (2009-11), once in indoor track and field (2012) and now twice in outdoor track and field (2011-12).
Griewisch will compete in the women's 5,000-meter national finals on Saturday beginning at 10:05 p.m., Eastern Daylight Time. Griewisch is ranked sixth out of 19 runners who are scheduled to compete in the event.
2012 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field
National Championships - Women's 10,000-meter run
Pueblo, Colo. (Neta and Eddie DeRose Thunderbowl)
Colorado State University-Pueblo, host
May 24, 2012
1. Rachel Patterson, Grand Valley State, 34:55.03
2. Lauren Kleppin, Western State, 34:56.86
3. Kate Griewisch, Lenoir-Rhyne, 35:04.60
4. Christina Muir, Ferris State, 35:10.58
5. Anna Rudd, Ferris State, 36:02.00
6. Kristen McGlynn, Adams State, 36:14.46
7. Katrina Spratford, Shippensburg, 36:24.09
8. Alia Gray, Chico State, 36:25.87
9. Lara Crofford, Shippensburg, 36:32.20
10. Elicia Anderson, Millersville, 37:01.87
11. Kylee Schuler, Metropolitan State, 37:16.98
12. Morgan Place, Minnesota-Duluth, 37:26.31
13. Leah Hansen, Augustana (S.D.), 37:56.02
14. Tiffany Dinh, California Poly Pomona, 38:22.35
15. Stephanie Pryor, Seton Hill, 39:02.04
16. Ann Marie Arseneau, Grand Valley State, 39:34.84
Photo Courtesy: Kate Griewisch, L-R Athletics