Lenoir-Rhyne University's Kate Griewisch ran a school-record 16:20 to finish third out of 25 competitors in the women's collegiate 5,000-meter championship Thursday night at the prestigious Penn Relays at Franklin Field. Griewisch,
a senior from Banner Elk, N.C., broke her own school record in the 5K by nearly 42 seconds and finished just behind Maine's Corey Conner (16:01) and Michigan State's Sara Kroll (16:16).
This marks the third straight year Griewisch has run in the Penn Relays. In 2010 and 2011, Griewisch competed in the women's collegiate 10,000-meter championship and finished fourth and seventh overall, respectively. Griewisch is an NCAA Division II All-American in women's cross country (2009-11), indoor track and field (2012) and outdoor track and field (2011).
In outdoor competition, Griewisch owns several school records including the one-mile (5:03), 1,500-meter (4:32), 3,000-meter (10:36) and 10,000-meter (33:44) runs in addition to the 5K.
The Penn Relays are the largest annual track and field meet in the United States and the largest annual relay meet in the world. The best in the world have and continue to compete at the Penn Relays.
Griewisch next competes in the 2012 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track and Field National Championships on May 24-26 in Pueblo, Colo., at the Neta and Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl. Griewisch is scheduled to run in the women's 10,000-meter championship on Thursday, May 24.
2012 Penn Relays
Women's Collegiate 5,000-meter Championship
Philadelphia, Pa. - Franklin Field
April 26, 2012
1. Corey Conner, Maine, 16:01.37
2. Sara Kroll, Michigan State, 16:16.52
3. Kate Griewisch, Lenoir-Rhyne, 16:20.53
4. Meghan McGlinchey, La Salle, 16:20.76
5. Laura Carleton, LSU, 16:28.08
6. Agnes Kemboi, TCU, 16:32.34
7. Lia Jones, Oakland, 16:39.72
8. Katie Haines, Michigan State, 16:43.00
9. Holly Anderson, Central Michigan, 16:43.71
10. Bronwyn Crossman, Oregon, 16:44.22
11. Carlie Green, Michigan State, 16:45.63
12. Amanda Hamilton, Appalachian State, 16:45.82
13. Rebecca White, Quinnipiac, 16:48.25
14. Joanna Stevens, Georgetown, 16:59.82
15. Shauna McNiff, Connecticut, 17:01.99
16. Rebecca Hallam, Florida Atlantic, 17:04.79
17. Kayla Lampe, South Carolina, 17:05.85
18. Rosie Mascoli, East Stroudsburg, 17:08.27
19. Catherine Campbell, Dickinson, 17:12.51
20. Jenna Davidner, Georgetown, 17:22.84
21. Ann Eason, Eastern Kentucky, 17:26.27
22. Raeanne Lohner, Central Michigan, 17:29.08
23. Lauren Norton, Rochester, 17:29.69
24. Paige Mills, Keene State, 17:41.11
25. Stefanie Braun, SUNY Plattsburgh, 17:46.78
Photo Courtesy: Kate Griewisch, L-R Athletics