After falling to College of Charleston in Southern Conference action, Appalachian State University women's tennis bounced back with a 6-1 defeat of non-conference opponent Jacksonville on Wednesday. The Mountaineers (8-4, 1-1 SoCon) have now won five of their last six matches, while the
Dolphins (3-7) are on a four-match skid. In doubles action, senior Blakeley Bean and sophomore Jessica Thaggard struck the first blow with an 8-4 win at No. 3. Appalachian's senior pair of Gisela Fernandez and Gabriela Celi soon followed with an 8-5 win to clinch the doubles point. JU's No. 1 pair earned an 8-6 win to stave off the doubles sweep.
In singles action, Thaggard picked up a 6-3 win in her first set at No. 4 and tore through the second set en route to a 6-3, 6-0 win. Junior Kim-Lea Dinh had no trouble earning her victory at No. 4 singles, winning 6-1, 6-2.
With the Mountaineers up 3-0, junior Jennifer Ansari added a comfortable win at No. 2 singles, dropping only four games in her 6-2, 6-2 victory, clinching the match for Appalachian. Freshman Gabby Gabriel continues to impress in her rookie season, pulling out a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 6 singles. Appalachian's closest win was Celi at No. 3, who still managed to win in two sets, 6-4, 6-4, giving the Apps six points on the day.
Jacksonville's only point in the match came at No. 1 singles, where freshman Aline Staudt of Germany picked up a 6-3, 6-3 win and prevented the team shutout. The Mountaineers now head north from Florida to take on SoCon opponent Georgia Southern in their next match. Action begins in Statesboro on Fri., March 16 at noon.
Appalachian State 6, Jacksonville 1
1. Aline Staudt (JU) def. Ellie Linsell (ASU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Jennifer Ansari (ASU) def. Natalie Melibeu (JU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Gabriela Celi (ASU) def. Gabriela Bartos (JU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Jessica Thaggard (ASU) def. Harjit Gosal (JU), 6-3, 6-0
5. Kim-Lea Dinh (ASU) def. Virginia Iwinski (JU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Gabby Gabriel (ASU) def. Veronique Spencer (JU), 6-2, 6-4
1. Staudt/Melibeu (JU) def. Linsell/Ansari (ASU), 8-6
2. Gisela Fernandez/Celi (ASU) def. Gosal/Iwinski (JU), 8-5
3. Blakeley Bean/Thaggard (ASU) def. Bartos/Spencer (JU), 8-4
Photo Courtesy: Gabriela Celi, ASU Athletics