Breaking a streak of three consecutive wins, Appalachian State University men's tennis fell to ETSU 6-1 at Bristol Racquet Club on Saturday. The Mountaineers level out to 3-3 on the season, while the once nationally-ranked Buccaneers (1-8), earns their first win of the year. ETSU was nationally-ranked
in pre-season ITA rankings and began the week as the nation's No. 74 team before falling out of the top 75 in this week's reckoning. The win also marks the Bucs' ninth-straight in home openers.
In doubles action, Appalachian State seniors Alain Humblet (Montreal, Quebec/DE Mortagne) and Alex Markov (Pernik, Bulgaria/Hawai'i Pacific) earned an 8-6 win in the No. 2 spot. Vying for the doubles point, ASU's No. 1 pair of Philip Kloc (Melbourne, Australia/Mentone Grammar) and Sebastien King (Montreal, Quebec/George Vanier) forced a tiebreaker, but ETSU edged out the Black and Gold, taking a 1-0 lead in the match.
In singles, the Buccaneers relieved themselves from their early season woes, taking control of the match in dominant fashion. Though Markov and Humblet managed to force third sets, ETSU remained on top. Senior Steve Karendal (Kernersville, N.C./Lees-McRae) scored the Apps' only point of the match, taking his match courtesy of a retirement by his ETSU foe.
The Mountaineers return to Boone for their next match on Sunday, hosting Belmont at Deer Valley Racquet Club at 11 a.m.
ETSU 6, Appalachian State 1
Feb 25, 2012 at Bristol, Tenn. (Bristol Racquet Club)
1. Jesus Bandres (ETSUM) def. Alex Markov (ASU) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6
2. Sander Gille (ETSUM) def. Philip Kloc (ASU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Juan Ramirez (ETSUM) def. Alain Humblet (ASU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Jeremy Bonnevalle (ETSUM) def. Sebastien King (ASU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Steve Karendal (ASU) def. Roger Ordeig (ETSUM) 3-6, 3-4, retired
6. Robin Akser (ETSUM) def. Matt Saltsgaver (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Robin Akser/Sander Gille (ETSUM) def. Philip Kloc/Sebastien King (ASU) 9-8
2. Alain Humblet/Alex Markov (ASU) def. Juan Ramirez/Jeremy Bonnevalle (ETSUM) 8-6
3. Jorge Varon/Jesus Bandres (ETSUM) def. Andrew McKinnon/Zeke Sansing (ASU) 8-6
Appalachian State 3-3