Facing the season’s toughest opponent to-date, Appalachian State University women’s tennis fell to No. 61 Virginia Tech, 0-7, at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on Sunday. The Mountaineers (2-2) slipped
in their second-straight match, while the Hokies (4-1) won their second match of the weekend, following a 5-2 victory over Winthrop on Saturday.
Senior Blakeley Bean (Alpharetta, Ga./South Forsyth) and freshman Gabby Gabriel (Weddington, N.C./Providence Day) lost the Apps’ closest doubles match, falling 5-8 at No. 3 doubles. Virginia Tech showed its strength early, sweeping the pairs matches for the doubles point.
In singles, the Hokies continued their control over the match, handily winning the top-five positions. At No. 6, Appalachian junior Kim-Lea Dinh (Maisons-Alfort, France/Lycee Eugene Delacroix) won the first set in a tie-break before dropping the second set. In the super-tiebreak third set, Dinh was edged by her VT foe and lost 7-6, 4-6, (8-10).
The Mountaineers return home next weekend to host Presbyterian on Friday at 3 p.m. The home match is slated to be held at nearby Yonahlossee Racquet Club.
No. 61 Virginia Tech 7, Appalachian State 0
Feb. 5, 2012 | Blacksburg, Va. | Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Ellie Linsell (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Jennifer Ansari (ASU) 6-2,6-4
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Gabriela Celi (ASU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Jessica Thaggard (ASU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Gabby Gabriel (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Katie Blow (VT) def. Kim-Lea Dinh (ASU) 6-7(3-7), 6-4, 1-0(10-7)
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 3, 2, 6
1. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) def. Linsell/Ansari (ASU) 8-2
2. Betts/Blow (VT) def. Cell/Gisela Fernandez (ASU) 8-4
3. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Blakeley Bean/Gabriel (ASU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3