Lenoir-Rhyne's Kate Griewisch (Banner Elk, N.C.) ran a school-record 16:44 in the women's 5,000-meter championship run at the 2012 New Balance Collegiate Invitational in indoor track and field Friday afternoon at The Armory. Griewisch finished sixth out of 16 competitors while
Texas A&M's Natosha Rogers won the race with a time of 15:58. Griewisch is looking to qualify for the NCAA Division II Indoor Track and Field National Championships for the second straight year.
Last season at the finals, Griewisch finished ninth in the women's 5,000-meter run and was one place off of earning All-American honors.
In addition to the 5K, Griewisch holds school indoor records in the one-mile (5:05) and 3,000-meter (10:11) runs.
Griewisch is a three-time NCAA Division II All-American (2009-11) in women's cross country and a 2011 D-II All-American in outdoor track and field.
Now 11 years old, the New Balance Collegiate Invitational has simply become the biggest and best college indoor meet in the nation with powerhouse teams from across the nation making the trip to The Armory. This is an invitational event with an eye on both regional and national interests.
The Lenoir-Rhyne Men's and Women's Track and Field Teams next compete in the Fast Track Invitational on Saturday, February 11, in Winston-Salem, N.C.
2012 New Balance Collegiate Invitational
Women's 5,000-meter Championship Run
February 3, 2012 - New York, N.Y.
1. Natosha Rogers, Texas A&Ml, 15:58.40
2. Elaina Balouris, William & Mary, 16:26.24
3. Caroline McDonough, Columbia, 16:26.62
4. Emily Lanois, Columbia, 16:33.63
5. Morgan Powers, Vermont, 16:33.64
6. Kate Griewisch, Lenoir-Rhyne, 16:44.02
7. Hope Krause, Boston College, 16:45.33
8. Kaitlin Flattmann, Arkansas, 16:47.95
9. Elicia Anderson, Millersville, 16:48.08
10. Erin Hegarty, Baylor, 16:55.45
11. Elizabeth O'Brien, Boston College, 17:01.41
12. Katy Andrews, BYU, 17:04.53
13. Stephanie Jensen-Billis, BYU, 17:21.31
14. Katherine Devlin, Texas A&M, 17:30.34
15. Rosie Mascoli, East Stroudsburg, 17:30.80
16. Sarah Darby, BYU, 17:33.93
Photo Courtesy: Kate Griewisch, LRU Athletics