In the team’s first match of the 2012 season, Appalachian State University women’s tennis handily dismissed North Carolina A&T, 7-0, at Yonahlossee Racquet Club on Saturday afternoon. The Mountaineers (1-0) duplicated the success they had against the Aggies (0-2) last season. Appalachian’s doubles pairs started the day with a 8-0 win at No. 1 doubles courtesy of
Ellie Linsell (Southampton, England/Cheam) and Jennifer Ansari (Greensboro, N.C./Walter Hines Page).
The No. 2 pair of Blakeley Bean (Alpharetta, Ga./South Forsyth) and Gisela Fernandez (Guadalajara, Mexico/TEC Monterrey) earned an 8-4 victory, while Gabriela Celi (Orlando, Fla./Lake Howell) and Jessica Thaggard (Acworth, Ga./Etowah) duplicated that score at No. 3 doubles to give the Black and Gold a 1-0 lead. In singles, Linsell dropped a single game to win 6-1, 6-0 at the top spot, while Ansari allowed only two to take the second singles, 6-2, 6-0.
Thaggard posted a clean sweep of her No. 3 singles opponent, 6-0, 6-0, and the Mountaineers had clinched the match with a 4-0 lead after the first set of singles matches. Gabby Gabriel (Weddington, N.C./Providence Day) made her collegiate debut with a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles, while Celi took the No. 5 match 6-1, 6-1, and Kim-Lea Dinh (Maisons-Alfort, France/Lycée Eugène Delacroix) rounded out the Apps’ victories with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 6.
The Mountaineers hit the road next weekend for a pair of neutral-site indoor matches in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va. The Apps face Liberty on Sat., Jan. 28 at 5 p.m. and James Madison on Sun., Jan. 29 at 10 a.m.
Appalachian State 7, North Carolina A&T 0
Jan 21, 2012 at Boone, N.C. (Yonahlossee Racquet Club)
1. Ellie Linsell (ASU) def. COLBERT, Kenya (NCAT) 6-1, 6-0
2. Jennifer Ansari (ASU) def. STALLING, Kimberly (NCAT) 6-2, 6-0
3. Jessica Thaggard (ASU) def. CROSS, Cayla (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
4. Gabby Gabriel (ASU) def. NIGUTA, Azeib (NCAT) 6-2, 6-0
5. Gabriela Celi (ASU) def. HENRY, Nianna (NCAT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Kim-Lea Dinh (ASU) def. BURRAGE, April (NCAT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Ellie Linsell/Jennifer Ansari (ASU) def. BURRAGE, April/COLBERT, Kenya (NCAT) 8-0
2. Blakeley Bean/Gisela Fernandez (ASU) def. NIGUTA, Azeib/CROSS, Cayla (NCAT) 8-4
3. Gabriela Celi/Jessica Thaggard (ASU) def. HENRY, Nianna/STALLING, Kimberly (NCAT) 8-4
North Carolina A&T 0-2
Appalachian State 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,2,6,4,5)
Appalachian Men’s Tennis Falls at South Carolina
In the team’s second outing of the season, Appalachian State University men’s tennis was shutout by non-conference opponent South Carolina at the USC Indoor Facility on Saturday. The Mountaineers (0-2) challenged their SEC opponent but were unable to secure a team point against the Gamecocks (1-0).
Appalachian’s only win of the day came at No. 2 doubles, as Alex Markov (Pernik, Bulgaria/Hawai’i Pacific) and Sebastien King (Montreal, Quebec/George Vanier) pulled out a 9-7 victory over Ivan Machado and Thiago Pinheiro. ASU’s top pair of Philip Kloc (Melbourne, Australia/Mentone Grammar) and Alain Humblet (Montreal, Quebec/DE Mortagne), ranked No. 8 in the Carolina region, fought tough against South Carolina’s Nick Jones and Kyle Koch, but the Gamecock duo pulled out the 9-7 win on its home court.
Ranked No. 14 in the region, Jones pulled out a two-set victory over Markov in the top singles spot, while Machado, ranked No. 17 in the Carolinas, was dominant at No. 2 singles. After two grueling matches to open the season, the Mountaineers return home to host UNC Asheville at Deer Valley Racquet Club on Sun., Jan 29 at 3 p.m.
South Carolina 7, Appalachian State 0
Jan 21, 2012 at Columbia, S.C. (USC Indoor Facility)
1. Nick Jones (USC) def. Alex Markov (ASU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Ivan Machado (USC) def. Alain Humblet (ASU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Andrew Adams (USC) def. Philip Kloc (ASU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Chip Cox (USC) def. Sebastien King (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kyle Koch (USC) def. Steve Karendal (ASU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Carl Eguez (USC) def. Matt Saltsgaver (ASU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Nick Jones/Kyle Koch (USC) def. Philip Kloc/Alain Humblet (ASU) 9-7
2. Alex Markov/Sebastien King (ASU) def. Ivan Machado/Thiago Pinheiro (USC) 9-7
3. Chip Cox/Andrew Adams (USC) def. Andrew McKinnon/Steve Karendal (ASU) 8-3
Appalachian State 0-2
South Carolina 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,1,4,6,3,5)
Humblet/Kloc (ASU) ranked No. 8 in Carolina region.
Nick Jones (USC) ranked No. 14 in Carolina region.
Ivan Machado (USC) ranked No. 17 in Carolina region.
Photo Courtesy: Jessica Thaggard, ASU Athletics