files/MDTB-GBR490x110-Sept2015.jpg files/0 (4).jpg
High Country News, Weather, and Bulletins

Todays ForecastToday:
70°F | 53°F | 30%
Tomorrows ForecastTomorrow:
58°F | 44°F | 70%
  Swap Shop Online
Home Sports Weather Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Autos
Fire Leaves Family of Five Homeless PDF Print
Written by Steve Frank   
Wednesday, 30 November 2011 10:40

Deep Gap, Stewart Simmons, and Boone Fire Departments were called out on a house fire last night, battling the blaze, the cold and the snow.  The 8pm call was to 233 Roby Watson Road off Wildcat Road, firemen reporting that the two-story structure was totaled in the blaze.  Fire Marshal Steve Sudderth said that firemen found the second floor falling in when they arrived, but the Scott Sigmon family was not at home at the time.  They did manage to save a family dog, housed just feet from the structure.  Sudderth said that family had been away for about 2 hours when the fire was discovered, and that is was fortunate that the fire did not start in the middle of the night with the family home.  The Sigmons returned while the fire was being fought, and without renter’s insurance, the Red Cross is helping the family, including three small children.  Sudderth’s best assessment of the cause is that it was related to the wood stove heating system, with a number of possibilities in that—maybe something too close to the stove, faulty flue connection, or chimney fault, but he implored wood stove or space heater users to use caution, keeping the heating systems at least 3 feet from any flammable surface or object, and to be sure the underside is away from flammable materials.  After being on the scene until after midnight, the same three departments were called back to the scene this morning when the owner of the rental house, Jimmy Brown, was checking the scene and found more fire in what had been the upper floor—now collapsed into the lower portion of the house.

Prev ArticleNext Article
Share This Article:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email