Sunday, 05 August 2007 20:00
An accidental fire Friday morning destroyed the home of a Sawmills woman.
Nancy Jean Fry had lived in the Chantilly Drive home for 12 years and lost all
her belongings, including her car in the vehicle. Her pet bird was killed in
According to the Caldwell County Fire Marshal’s Office, the fire started
because of improperly discarded smoking materials.
The blaze started at 8:50 a.m. A man looking for yard
sales noticed the smoke and broke out a window to bring Fry and a guest to
safety. Firefighters soon arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from
the home. Hudson Fire and Rescue, Granite Falls Fire, North Catawba Fire and
Rescue, Lovelady Rescue, Caldwell County EMS and the fire marshal’s office
responded to the fire. The Catawba Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross is
assisting the family.